Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vinschool Saigon

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNexpatesl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Vinschool Saigon Reply with quote

Since there’s a Vinschool Hanoi thread, I figured there should be one for Saigon. Is Vinscool in Saigon more or less probably run the same as Hanoi? Bad? Good? Micromanaging? Withheld paychecks?

Particularly interested in their kindergartens and preschools, if anyone has experience.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happened to speak with someone who worked for Vinschool Saigon.

Basically, they do have cameras in their classrooms and they'll dock you for any infraction. However, the facilities are very nice and the paychecks for certified teachers are more than decent.

Cameras in the classroom are a massive red flag, frankly.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
I just happened to speak with someone who worked for Vinschool Saigon.

Basically, they do have cameras in their classrooms and they'll dock you for any infraction. However, the facilities are very nice and the paychecks for certified teachers are more than decent.

I assume by "certified" that mean BA + CELTA/TEFL cert?

Just clarifying.

Quote:

Yes, quite a lot of schools have cameras in the classroom these days.
CHINOISE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much doers vinschool pay?
needyreedy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough to put up with the abject stupidity of the upper management, who should be hanging their heads in shame at how badly they’re running these schools - but don't, or won't, because they lack the intelligence, knowledge or integrity to comprehend how bad they are.

The salaries vary from moderate to good depending on what section you’re in (Kindy, AP or Cambridge), whether you’re qualified (PGCE etc. not just a Bachelors + CELTA/TESOL), and quite frankly what mood the notoriously arbitrary and unprofessional HR department is in. They advertise constantly because staff turnover is so high, so it’s not hard to find the job ads with the salary expectations listed.

However, my understanding is that most, if not all, schools across the group are shoddy – partly because it's the same upper management, partly because the purpose of these schools is not to provide a good standard of education to students. Allegedly, its parent company, Vin Group, was told by the Vietnamese government that it could only pursue its big money, commercial ventures on the condition it opened community-based companies like Vinschool and its equally dire medical company, Vinmec (it’s best avoided). These schools have not been opened in the spirit of altruism; they are a means to an end for Vin Group. Vinschool's role is merely to exist, not to succeed. As such, no-one cares, and the upper management, allegedly, have not secured their jobs through merit, but through nepotism or whatever other nefarious means it takes to bag a fancy title because, really, it doesn’t really matter whether they’re good at their jobs or not. All of this sadly equates to poorly run schools, clueless management and an unnecessarily rough ride for teachers.
Wayland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:

I disagree. A camera in a classroom should be a teacher's best friend. There are a lot of accusations flying around Vietnam right now between teachers and students. If you are doing your job properly a camera will only protect you.

needyreedy wrote:

However, my understanding is that most, if not all, schools across the group are shoddy – partly because it's the same upper management, partly because the purpose of these schools is not to provide a good standard of education to students. Allegedly, its parent company, Vin Group, was told by the Vietnamese government that it could only pursue its big money, commercial ventures on the condition it opened community-based companies like Vinschool and its equally dire medical company, Vinmec (it’s best avoided). These schools have not been opened in the spirit of altruism; they are a means to an end for Vin Group. Vinschool's role is merely to exist, not to succeed. As such, no-one cares, and the upper management, allegedly, have not secured their jobs through merit, but through nepotism or whatever other nefarious means it takes to bag a fancy title because, really, it doesn’t really matter whether they’re good at their jobs or not. All of this sadly equates to poorly run schools, clueless management and an unnecessarily rough ride for teachers.

I don't know about the schools, but Vinmec is great... at least the one in Danang. Best hospital in town, and amazing service for price.

I think any educational company in Vietnam that employs western teachers and tries to mix western educational practices with Vietnamese business is going to be a mess. It has nothing to do with intelligence as you mentioned... it's different values and norms and culture. As an educator, it would be a good idea to keep that in mind no matter how frustrated you get with the way things are done here.
needyreedy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CCTV cameras weren't actually in the classrooms, although that's possibly their next move. They were placed strategically around the school with the sole intention of catching teachers out for not wearing name badges. Vinschool employed two members of staff specifically for this purpose. Meanwhile, the schools were falling apart, students needed resources and school was total chaos. If only the HR department put as much effort into doing their actual job, like delivering contracts and paying teachers into the correct bank accounts/on time, as they did trying to police teachers, then maybe the atmosphere at Vinschool would be a bit more pleasant. Any school that ranks fining teachers above supporting them has its priorities severely screwed up and should not be in the business of education.

The quality of medical care at Vinmec I received was appalling and my experience was horrific. I've known several people who've been seriously misdiagnosed by doctors at the hospital. I've even spoken to doctors whose advice has been to avoid it, unless you have a minor ailment. Likewise, one of my guilty pleasures has been following the Vinhomes group on FB. It's an endless stream of inept management and disgruntled tenants. I think in their haste to get ahead VinGroup have neglected quality and substance. Sure everything looks fine, but scratch the surface and you'll see the real picture.

Quite frankly, I've found your comments quite ignorant and patronising. You clearly haven't worked at Vinschool, so you really have no idea what you're talking about. It's just pure speculation on your part. I’ve lived overseas long enough to understand cultural differences, and I’m old enough to know that stupidity is stupidity no matter what the language.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: