Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do we need new background checks everytime we switch jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Do we need new background checks everytime we switch jobs? Reply with quote

I'm not clear on this. Even though CBCs, at least in my country, typically have an expiration date, that expensive authentification would seem to render it more than a typical CBC. After all, the past (to a certain extent) doesn't change, and if you're doing it for work in China, then China would know more about what's happened in the ellapsed time spent in China than the local authorities in your home country.

On the other hand, China loves its formalities and red tape, and from the perspective of discouraging people from moving around too much, there would be a logic to needing it done again and again.

What's the case?
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:
I'm not clear on this. Even though CBCs, at least in my country, typically have an expiration date, that expensive authentification would seem to render it more than a typical CBC. After all, the past (to a certain extent) doesn't change, and if you're doing it for work in China, then China would know more about what's happened in the ellapsed time spent in China than the local authorities in your home country.

I have been wondering about this too, but I am expecting the answer to be "yes, we would need a new background check every time we switch jobs".

I hope to be at my new position for at least 2-3 years. When I do move on, I will prepare to scramble to get a new background check; however, as this is China, requirements may be completely different 2-3 years from now anyway.

I am also curious about an answer to this question.

Warm regards,
twowheel
cormac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My FAO (after checking with the PSB) told me that the CBC is only needed if I'm outside of China longer than a month. So If I stay in China, and only leave for short periods, then I don't need a new one.

As has been said though, that could easily change...
wuliuchiba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what province you are in. I know that this year a new criminal check is needed for Jiangsu and also Henan.
eihpos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched jobs in Jiangsu in 2017, and need to sign a 'non-criminal form', but didn't need to get a new check from my own country. I had to provide the same when renewing my visa this year.

Do you mean that now, if I changed jobs again within Jiangsu, It would be necessary to get another brand new check from my country?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably depends on how competent your HR people dealing with the issue are. I went from Sichuan to Jiangsu last year and needed the check (had to get a new Z visa). This year I did not need to do anything, gave admin my passport and got it back with the new RP.

At the end of the day, I can see why they might still want a check from your home country. I have been in China over 10 years, only leaving for Macau/HK, but I could have been found guilty of something from before I left or some kind of financial crimes while in the PRC. It does seem kind of stupid, but it is what it is. Last time a check from my state was good enough and only took about a week to get, so I can live with that.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
It does seem kind of stupid, but it is what it is. Last time a check from my state was good enough and only took about a week to get, so I can live with that.

If it was just getting the background check done, it wouldn't be much of a hassle, but many places are requiring the background check to be authenticated the same way our university diplomas need to be authenticated, which can be very tricky considering not only the many levels of authentication needed but also the time frames needed (not too early as to have the background check expire before your visa application, but also not too late as to not have it completed and in your hands when application time comes). It's an extremely vague requirement.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawaguagua wrote:

...but many places are requiring the background check to be authenticated the same way our university diplomas need to be authenticated, which can be very tricky considering not only the many levels of authentication needed but also the time frames needed...

If from the US, the state check can get all the home country side authentication, at least in CA, in one step. The state DOJ issues the check already authenticated by the state if requested. Takes a few days, then send it to the Chinese for another few days. Might be a week and a half to two weeks just to take into account problems.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree it is annoying.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doesn't matter what the correct answer to the OP's question is now. When he is ready to change jobs in a year or two it will most probably be different. Really.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I do agree it is annoying.

Yeah, I guess I might be overestimating how time-consuming it is. We can all agree it's still expensive, though, especially if you need to go with a third party for assistance.

Simon in Suzhou wrote:
I doesn't matter what the correct answer to the OP's question is now. When he is ready to change jobs in a year or two it will most probably be different. Really.

Also a good point. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: