Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL vs. Teaching License for futureproofing ESL Career
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg 09 wrote:
I was attracted to this thread because I just aged out at my former Uni and I'm considering more education to increase my marketability.

I turned 60 last year and got bumped due to the new FEB age policy. I did get job offers from Unis in two other provinces. Seems there are waivers available if the province is less developed. I'm currently in Hebei and have been told that up to 65 is possible.

I've read all the posts here and my suggestion to anyone would be to get your qualifications upgraded as soon as possible. Its too easy to wait until next year, then the next, and find yourself at my age with only a BA and no quals. I'm 61 and in great health and have no intention of ever retiring, but my options are limited. I'm thinking about an online MA so I can keep working while I study. Even if the payoff is breakeven at least I can keep working and possibly shift to a management gig somewhere.

My point is: don't wait until you're 60 like I did. I pissed away 9 years in China thinking it would last forever. Change comes fast and when you least expect it.

I think the fact that you were able to find work until age 61 without a masters or teacher certification is a testament not to get certified. I think I would reiterate to the OP that it's probably better to put the money towards retirement.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Nomad I've thought about all that and you're right. It gets more difficult with each passing year once you've hit the big 6-0.

Actually I'm in a MA program not tailored specifically for TESOL but includes it as a specialty. A more generic degree should create more options. I have a huge amount of management experience and that might come into play as well. The cost is not a concern.

If push comes to shove I could end up in a Community College in the US teaching something. Not my preference but it would be fine.

Further advice: don't grow old. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: