Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best options in LA for experienced, credentialed teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foremost

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Best options in LA for experienced, credentialed teacher Reply with quote

Good day.

I have spent my 30-year teaching career in Asia and am considering a move to LA. I have an MEd TESOL, CELTA, copyediting certification, and continuous employment at three tertiary institutions (in three countries) over twenty years, all of which can provide outstanding references. I have adequate savings and don't need a high-paying job to service debt (though I'm certainly not averse to receiving a high salary should that opportunity present itself). When my current contract ends in 2020, I will be 59 years old.

My two major concerns are regulations that exclude employment for those over 60, and availability of health insurance and access to the national medical system. Are there countries that I can write off the consideration list based on these concerns? Are there countries welcoming to those with experience regardless of age?

Thank you for your time.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your MEd completed entirely on campus, or did it have a distance or online component?
Foremost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished my CELTA is 1990 and MEd in 1993, before anyone had the idea of online education. Two years ago I finished an online MA in an unrelated field, and last year I finished an online certificate in copyediting.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online maybe, but distance education was around long before that Smile

Anyway, Ecuador would be a possibility for you. There are no age limits for hiring. Age discrimination can be an issue for Ecuadorians but rarely seems to happen to foreigners. The initial situation with health care is a bit complicated, but once you are settled you can enroll in IESS the state health care system (if you are working full time you are enrolled automatically). MEds are in demand at universities though you would usually have to work part-time first until you get a contract.
Foremost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take that to mean that Ecuadorian unis don't typically advertise or recruit from abroad? Is it possible to get a work permit with part-time work?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will usually have to be in the country to find a job. Ecuadorian universities won't usually sponsor a visa either. You would apply for your own professional visa based on your MEd. You don't need to have a job lined up to apply, but if you don't have one, you will have to show proof of funds to support you while you find a job.
Foremost

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No place worth mentioning apart from Ecuador? This forum seems moribund. Any other forums worth checking?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mexico forum is a bit more active if you're interested in that country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are country-specific forums for most of the bigger countries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: