Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universities tighten up on graduation requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Universities tighten up on graduation requirements Reply with quote

Universities in China are tightening up on graduation requirements in a bid to improve standards as a larger proportion of young people are in higher education than in the past and employers regularly complain that education standards among younger graduates appear to be dropping.

http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20181025184925829
eihpos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. This semester I have had about 8 students from 3rd year arriving in my freshman classes and when I asked why they mumbled something about credits. I imagine they are being forced to take extra courses in order to graduate because they didn’t do so well in previous years. Or they want to increase their GPA.

I wonder how easy it is to get a PhD in China though. I have always thought of a doctorate as a pretty major undertaking but loads of Chinese staff I have worked with seem to have one just to teach ESL! I was speaking to a Chinese colleague the other day and she was going on about perhaps doing one. She didn’t even know in what exactly, but she was talking about it as if it was some kind of little certificate. Is it easier to get s PhD in Chinese universities?
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just last year I had about 5 seniors show up in my freshman class with some forms saying they were officially in my class. This happened on the day of the Final Exam. I thought it strange that this took place and on the very last day I was meeting my students, but I was told by these 5 students that it was ok because "their names were officially put in the computer" as being in my class.

Guess I can't argue with that.
Curtinca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is because Chinese standards are not very high that a lot of Chinese students -- the better ones -- go overseas to do their masters and doctorates.
Kierana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a very welcome change for me. Tired of bone idle students who graduate even if their certificate is worthless.
doogsville

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in the same uni for six years. For the first four years, I never saw any of the students who managed to fail exams ever again, and I remember a few of them wandering around in their gowns at graduation. Then in my last two years I had third and fourth year students coming back to do courses they'd failed in first and second year. I thought at that point that there was finally hope for the future of China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: