Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Fairs/Events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Job Fairs/Events Reply with quote

Has anyone been to a job fair for International teaching or ESL? There is a big one in Dubai or Abu Dhabi every year.

I don't completely understand why these events are held, in the days of email, Skype and the like. Do companies really hold brief qualifying interviews with potential teaching hires?
Gazoo1000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, I am asking because I just came across this website for three job fairs in China:

http://jobfair.chinajob.com/employee.php
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Guangzhou job fair put on by this outfit several years ago. There were a lot of non-teaching jobs which might interest some. As far as teaching jobs went, the fair was full of the chain companies like EF who no one generally wants to work for, and far-flung universities in places no one wants to go to offering 6000/month salary. Basically, the employers who can't attract teachers (For good reasons). It was a massive waste of a day, IMO.

I have since learned that good teaching jobs in China generally don't have to advertise at all. China is the land of connections. If you want a great job, get to know people. Word of mouth. You might get lucky at an event like this or through a recruiter, but you're just as likely to end up in a miserable situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: