Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Dont Most of You Just Teach Online?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tellersquill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Why Dont Most of You Just Teach Online? Reply with quote

I had a brief read through this section of the forum and I was surprised that people are saying wages are so low and they can hardly make a decent living. It really made me wonder why more people aren't working online to make a living.

I know two people - one working in Vietnam and one working in England - who both teach online. They work for Chinese companies that pay them between $18 and 21$ per hour. They tend to work 3-4 hours per night 5 or 6 nights a week (working Chinese evenings; lunch time in Europe).

The numbers:
20$ x 3hrs a day equals 60$
60$ x 5 days equals 280$ per week
280$ x 4 weeks equals 1120$ per month (roughly 1,000 euros).

So 1000 euros per month to work 15 hours a week (quite easy to live off 1000 per month). And then if you want to add on extra money you can tutor in the evenings.

I've only taught online for 3 months just as extra income - but it was all above board and they paid on time. I'm surprised more people arent doing it if they want to live in countries that wont pay a decent wage.

Anyway, i do hope this helps someone who is worries about earning their crust on european land.
Rehcra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 1000 euros a month gross doesn't mean you have 1000 euros a month to live on; there are the small matters of tax, social security, health insurance etc. to consider. Unless you decide to live "black", in which case there are more lucrative avenues to explore.

15-20 euros an hour was the going rate for freelance work when I was in Eastern Europe a few years ago; online teaching would give me the choice of teaching a Chinese teenager on a screen, or putting on my trousers and teaching a person who lives in the same culture I've chosen to live in. Swings and roundabouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: