Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between Public and Private Universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Difference between Public and Private Universities Reply with quote

Hi,

I am noticing that job ads are being posted for Chinese universities. I am noticing that some are private and some are public. Which type generally has better students?
Kierana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public.

Private ones will be for students who couldn't get into public universities and their attitudes/scores usually reflect that fact.

Also the private universities tend to be run like a business where the students get away with anything but the teacher would be punished for any/all reasons.

TL;DR Avoid private universities in China like the plague in my opinion.
cdchristy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked both. The public university was extremely low ranked. So, I thought the private university was perhaps a little better. Some of the students who go to the private university can attend a public university, albeit a low-ranked one.
teenoso

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in both, and the students in private unis were probably brighter than in the lower ranked public unis, just with a different focus: more worldly, less academic and less interested in the rote memorisation necessary to do well in the public education system here.
So you might get more interesting classes in a private uni.

The management of the two kinds of Unis also differs, but an individual boss can make a big difference and I've had good and bad experiences with both types with management, so it's largely down to luck ......
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said here, it's impossible to make a categorical assumption that one is better than the other. The "Ivy League" of China are public Unis- Tsinghua, etc. But "public" universities also include the LOWEST level of secondary education as well. It's a very wide range.

Private university students are often wealthier kids who didn't get into the university of their choice, but that doesn't mean they are terrible students. If their goal was a top 10 Uni, they could still be in the top 20% of students nationwide, but don't want to attend a lower level public university. Many private universities are better than mid to lower level public ones. Many private universities are also not very good. So yeah.

I taught at a very good public uni and a lower level public uni (where the students English was at elementary school level. Really.). I also taught at a decent private university where the students were not as good as the former but MUCH BETTER than the latter. The difference was my salary at the private uni was double what both public universities paid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: