Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEST Salaries in Latin America-2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the best country to make & SAVE money in Latin America?
Mexico
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Panama
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Colombia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ecuador
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Brazil
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Argentina
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Chile
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Peru
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Uruguay
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (Please comment below)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: BEST Salaries in Latin America-2016 Reply with quote

What is the best country in Lat Am as far as making/saving money is concerned?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's impossible to answer, there are too many variables. The opportunities in each country are entirely different depending on your qualifications, experience, reputation, connections, visa options, etc etc. That's before you get into the variations within a country.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
That's impossible to answer, there are too many variables. The opportunities in each country are entirely different depending on your qualifications, experience, reputation, connections, visa options, etc etc. That's before you get into the variations within a country.

This kind of thread pops up every year or so with about the same answers...I'd say Venezuela has been problematic of late given their economic troubles and high inflation.

Every country has their top, high-paying American or British schools and their bottom of the barrel barely-a-school low-paying pretenders.

We can start adding Cuba to the list now though! Opportunities are beginning to emerge there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
HLJHLJ wrote:

This kind of thread pops up every year or so with about the same answers...I'd say Venezuela has been problematic of late given their economic troubles and high inflation.

Every country has their top, high-paying American or British schools and their bottom of the barrel barely-a-school low-paying pretenders.

We can start adding Cuba to the list now though! Opportunities are beginning to emerge there.

Cuba could be worth it for sure!
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, but one thing that needs to be factored in is cost of travel to the countires and visitis home if you intend to stay long term And in that sense, the answer will be different for our colleagues from the southern hemisphere.

In ohterwords, Mexico can be hard for Australians due to the time/cost involved in arriving there.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially if you start a family, it can be all but impossible to "escape" from Mexico or Central America if you come from down under. Your income will barely cover the costs of day to day living, and unless you plan on abandoning your dependents (hopefully not) or begging/borrowing from back home, it is unlikely you'll ever earn enough to leave. (Just like Hotel California).
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: none.. Reply with quote

Unless you marry a local or have a very unique skill set (i.e. you can tech medical English in a university) English teaching jobs in the region aren't intennded to be jobs you keep for 18 years and use to create a middle class lifestyle for yourself and the kids you have. Places with higher salaries havve higher costs of living. Are there expections? Of course! TEC de Monterray in Mexico used to pay very well. But in general the jobs availle aare for young people who want to travel and break even doing that.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: sorry about the type-os.. Reply with quote

I got a cheap new computer and typing on itt is clunky.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: none.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
Unless you marry a local or have a very unique skill set (i.e. you can tech medical English in a university) English teaching jobs in the region aren't intennded to be jobs you keep for 18 years and use to create a middle class lifestyle for yourself and the kids you have. Places with higher salaries havve higher costs of living. Are there expections? Of course! TEC de Monterray in Mexico used to pay very well. But in general the jobs availle aare for young people who want to travel and break even doing that.

An experienced English teacher with a Master's degree in education (or related) and the right experience on Common Core or IB will earn up to 92,000 USD per year in Mexico.

A teacher with two years experience from home and starting their first international assignment as an English teacher, with a BA starts between 16,000 and 27,000 USD per year in Mexico, depending on the city.

A TEFL teacher with no experience and 4 weeks of training can earn a maximum of 24,000 (about 1400 USD) pesos per month in my experience. I doubt you'd get higher than that as a starter.

Quite a variety in Mexico...probably why it is ranked number 1 on this survey. At the very top end, there are schools in Lima, Buenos Aires, Bogota, and Caracas that pay the best in Latin America.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: none.. Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

An experienced English teacher with a Master's degree in education (or related) and the right experience on Common Core or IB will earn up to 92,000 USD per year in Mexico.

A teacher with two years experience from home and starting their first international assignment as an English teacher, with a BA starts between 16,000 and 27,000 USD per year in Mexico, depending on the city.

A TEFL teacher with no experience and 4 weeks of training can earn a maximum of 24,000 (about 1400 USD) pesos per month in my experience.

Next door to Mexico in Guatemala I'm only dreaming of salaries like that, even the third level mentioned is way more than the the best offers I've seen here.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: none.. Reply with quote

I completely disagree. That is exactly what they are, jobs you build up over time into a middle class lifestyle, just like most people everywhere. Mexico is NOT a place to come for a year or two and think you are going to get anywhere. And, if you don't have the education and/or experience to progress you never will. Just being a native speaker is not enough to move into the better jobs.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: none.. Reply with quote

MixtecaMike wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

A TEFL teacher with no experience and 4 weeks of training can earn a maximum of 24,000 (about 1400 USD) pesos per month in my experience.

Next door to Mexico in Guatemala I'm only dreaming of salaries like that, even the third level mentioned is way more than the the best offers I've seen here.

You're right. I work with three international schools in Guatemala...top I've seen is 26,000 USD a year and that's with 6 years experience....and that's the top end.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Sorry certified teachers in the USA :) Reply with quote

Mexico is not filled with common core schools that pay teachers with a master's degree an average of 92000 USD.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, as usual there are multiple truths when talking about Mexico.
Someone was just asking about a job that pays 6,000 a month in the Mexico forum.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry certified teachers in the USA :) Reply with quote

Mexico is not filled with common core schools that pay teachers with a master's degree an average of 92000 USD.

Never said it was...that is the very top I've seen.

Mexico is filled with all kinds of schools that pay between the 6000 pesos mentioned above and the 92,000 USD mentioned above that. And everything in between...

I see this thread is going in the usual direction these things go...

I don't think the very low sample rate of posters here would ever give a full picture of what is available in the region, a country, or even a single city.

If anyone is interested in real data, International School Consultancy Group provides all this data (for a charge of course) worldwide by region, country, city, and school. Admittedly, they don't cover all schools in any country, but they do cover a good number of international and bilingual schools in the region - including some 400 in Mexico - from privately held to foundations. Public schools are not covered but we weren't discussing those anyway were we?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: