Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on Vietnam Internet Stability - Want to teach online

View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanbound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Update on Vietnam Internet Stability - Want to teach online Reply with quote

Hi All,

Can anyone please comment on the the state of the internet, such as if there any nationwide internet-loss events in 2018, if there is a big difference between 1st and 2nd/3rd tier cities, about how many incidents occurred, what was the longest lapse without internet for, how long the net typically goes down for, etc.

I would like t continue seeing my students different parts of the world over videochat (Skype). Could I anticipate relatively stable internet service and sufficient speed of Skype-video on a daily basis? I use the net from 8am to 4pm, so it spans a large chunk of the daytime.

Please let me know what you have experienced with the internet and if you think Vietnam is a reasonable candidate for an internet-based teacher like myself.

Thanks!

JB
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, the internet doesn't go down in Vietnam, it just slows down significantly due to undersea cable problems. So, it's possible to continue using the internet but it's likely too slow to effectively teach online although it may depend on the location of your students. For example, connections with China might not be slow but outside of Asia could be a problem.

Here's the most recent article regarding this:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/internet-connection-in-turtle-mode-as-undersea-cable-snaps-again-3797663.html

The article is from Aug 25 and it states that:

"This is the fourth time the AAG cable has encountered a technical problem this year, following three instances in January, May and June, and at least five similar incidents in 2017."

Anyway, people are teaching online here. I very occasionally teach on Cambly, which has a test that my wifi can pass when I use the Cat 6 ethernet cable. Without the cable, I can usually pass it but the connection is weaker and less stable.

Other problems are when there is a powercut in your ward or a blackout in your area and when your own router needs to be reset. That kind of thing happens several times a year.

I don't think there is much difference between cities. The quality depends on the individual connection; some restaurants/bars/coffee shops/hotels/apartments have great connections, most are OK, some are useless.

Anyway, VN is OK for teaching online but you will experience occasional problems.
CHINOISE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyday the internet cuts out about a dozen times, so it's almost certain you will never have an uninterrupted class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: