Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching medical subjects in English
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Teaching medical subjects in English Reply with quote

Hello all,
Have been lurking here reading posts for some time. Thank you for all the input and stories of personal experiences.

I am a physician considering making a switch out of clinical medicine. I like teaching and have been involved with resident and medical school training most of my career. As soon as my youngest graduates HS (3 years from now) I hope to pursue other interests..one of them being teaching and living in foreign some foreign countries.

I will consider teaching straight up ESL, but thought it might be more fun and rewarding to hook up with a medical school and teach (even medical English)in that venue.

I don't speak any other languages so that may limit some options. I would like input if anyone has heard of such a thing or if any one thinks it might be feasible.

All input and thoughts are appreciated regarding which countries would be best by the countries potential interest and just general ease of living and working in their system, safety etc. Money will not be an issue, so I don't really care about renumeration per se as a qualifier.

Thank you in advance.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have three years, as you noted, so why not chose an area and begin learning the language. Also, passport matters. If US, then, EU is off the table. Any kind of monetary thoughts?

More information gets more advice here.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the advice on providing more info for us to work with. Otherwise, we're just making broad assumptions about your likes/dislikes in terms of location, your nationality, your living expectations, long-term goals (if any), etc. A good place to start is Suggestions for Job Seekers on Dave's, which is a guide of sorts.
mtnman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just lost my whole response post Mad

In short, I generally kept things open as at this point I dont want to bias myself into prematurely ruling out any countries.

I am sensitive to the security situation however. I lived for two years in a country and neighborhood with sketchy safety and dont feel the need to repeat at this stage of my life. I am US Christian, so I guess my bias would be against going to Russia, Ukraine, Middle East, Indonesia at this point. China may be off limits sometime in the future if competition between the US and China continues to escalate.

I am open to S/Central America, most of Asia, Europe and Eastern Europe. I have read on this board that Armenia is not great for ESL, but only recently "discovered" the country and is an example of a country I would have never thought of on my own but could be pretty interesting.

I am lucky to not have to worry about the finances, so there may be countries that would be great, but don't get discussed because the money is not great. Teaching in a foreign country is a way for me to stay active and productive and yet get to experience a different country. If I just went to live in a foreign country I think I would feel pretty isolated and bored. The company that arranges for work in Hungary (CETP) seems interesting as they specifically mention opportunities for business people or lawyers. I have reached out to see if they would want to explore medical (but am guessing I am a bit to far out ,3 years, for any real concrete plans)

I have looked at volunteer programs and may end up going with one of those. However, I thought I would check with this board to get input due to the vast experience of the group- even if my question is somewhat out of the typical. Basically checking in to see if anyone sees any opportunity to teach medical topics and how they would approach.

My bottom line plan, when time is close and no one has ever done this, is to just pick a country and start writing to medical schools. I think China would be an option as they have medical schools that cater to foreigners (Indian mostly I believe) that teach all in English. However, I figure there is a whole world out there with opportunities that may not be well advertised on the internet.

Thank you for the initial feedback!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is really not an issue, maybe consider Georgia. It's pretty cheap, relatively clean, the people are generally very relaxed and pleasant, and the country's interesting and relatively safe. It's very tolerant in a religious sense, with Christian, Muslim, and other churches co-existing closely and peacefully. The native English speakers I know have almost all enjoyed living there longer-term, with few leaving after just one year; that's usually a good sign.

US citizens don't need a visa to visit, so it's feasible to just go take a look!
mtnman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the lead on Georgia. I would have never thought of it and will research it more, but it looks promising. I did find a website where it looks like the govt of Georgia is very interested in promoting English language skills for their populace, so it might be a very good target to work out something a bit out of the main stream. Hopefully their interest might overcome any post Soviet bureaucratic challenges that may still in the country.

Here is the link: http://www.tlg.gov.ge/

Would be nice to hear from anyone that has tried it or worked there. I can post specifically on the regional specific board for that.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnman wrote:
I am US Christian, so I guess my bias would be against going to Russia, Ukraine, Middle East, Indonesia at this point.

Frankly, the Mid East offers some of the best opportunities, especially in the UAE. The Emirates is home to more foreigners than nationals, English is widely spoken, is both tolerant and family friendly, modern, and there are more than three dozen churches. Moreover, it offers some of the best health care in the region, which includes Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi. Check out Abu Dhabi's first medical school set to open this year and Second teaching hospital to open in UAE.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnman wrote:
Teaching in a foreign country is a way for me to stay active and productive and yet get to experience a different country. If I just went to live in a foreign country I think I would feel pretty isolated and bored.
My bottom line plan, when time is close and no one has ever done this, is to just pick a country and start writing to medical schools. I think China would be an option as they have medical schools that cater to foreigners (Indian mostly I believe) that teach all in English.

Medical English, like business English, aviation English, academic English, etc., falls under the category of English for Specific Purposes, which differs from functional/general English.

My two-cents' worth from personal TEFL experience...

The pre-med students and medical professionals in my intensive and academic English classes already possessed a high level of English. In fact, the pre-med uni learners took science and math classes in English, while attending my class. I've also taught business English and English for Legal Purposes to fairly proficient working professionals. The goal was to reinforce their English while introducing new concepts and terminology and boosting their critical thinking skills.

In your case, instead of getting a TEFL cert to teach mainstream English, focus on clinical teaching roles in your target countries where the academic instruction is completely in English. (Google teach medical English jobs [insert country name] and you'll find it's not in high demand.) And since you have three years, consider traveling to those destinations to see if the lifestyle/culture are a good fit.
mtnman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nomad soul for the suggestion of UAE. As I said, that is why I am trying not to let too many uneducated biases steer my plans at this point.

Thanks for your input regarding English for Specific Purposes. I think it is actually better if the students speak decent English as even native English speakers have to work to understand typical medical terms. Words like mesenchyme and parenchyma just are not in the everyday lexicon.

I could teach straight up medical topics in a medical school based on my specialty, but that is basically what I do now. I figured helping students with medical usage might be more chill and fun (being different from what I have been doing for years). Even my local community college has multiple medical terminology classes for students in the health sciences.

I think there are probably needs that maybe they don't know how to fund in places. I hate editing medical papers but have some physician friends in an Asian country that I helped re-write several medical papers to be more understandable and it made them able to submit to more prestigious journals (as the underlying science was sound). I have offers from them to come to their school to do the same for others, but like I say not my favorite work.

Like I say, I am considering teaching straight English, but more as a break from doing what I already do and will probably do that if I can't find some combination of the two or some other opportunity that seems interesting. I know I could just work clinically in many different countries as they advertise in US journals and with recruiters, but I am pretty burned on the clinical practice right now.

Thanks for the insight
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnman wrote:
Like I say, I am considering teaching straight English, but more as a break from doing what I already do and will probably do that if I can't find some combination of the two or some other opportunity that seems interesting.

Be aware that TEFL can entail teaching reading, writing, listening and speaking skills, depending on the learners and situation. You also have to be able to present and explain grammar points. Teaching English language skills isn't the same as lecturing on a subject; expect to complete a TEFL cert course. (Check out the CELTA, which is the most globally recognized TEFL qualification.)

By the way, you do not have to be fluent in a foreign language or have studied another language in order to teach English, although it's helpful from the standpoint of personally experiencing what it's like to acquire a second language. You'll rarely see that as a requirement for TEFL jobs; employers expect teachers to use English as much as possible in class.
mtnman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am not sure I would be the best English teacher, but better than some I am sure. Once I narrow in on a country, I expect I will take a TEFL course in that country to add tools to the teaching tool box, hopefully get a head start on the language and meet some people. I actually enjoy learning and going to class, so that aspect I might do even if I don't teach ESL just to have the experience.

I have tried to keep an open mind about all different area, but am guessing when push comes to shove, I will try to end up in Eastern Europe as a first experience. The food would be different, but not so different from my typical fare. It is good language fluency is not required as those are some challenging languages!Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Loads of books for teaching ESP medicine etc.

Have a look.

https://www.bebc.co.uk/search?global-search=medicine
mtnman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Loads of books for teaching ESP medicine etc.

Have a look.

https://www.bebc.co.uk/search?global-search=medicine

Thank you!
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnman,

Are you considering the Peace Corps? That would be my recommendation (I am a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, China, 2000-2003). Peace Corps is in Georgia.

Give their website a look.

Also, as has been previously mentioned, if you really would be interested, look up some of the medical universities in China. I think that many of them would be interested in hiring you on as an instructor.

Warm regards,
twowheel
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: uae? Reply with quote

I'm in the UAE-pm me. Conditions have gone downhill in the teaching game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: