Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

All PPT and Lesson Plans Must Be Submitted for Approval

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chryanvii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: All PPT and Lesson Plans Must Be Submitted for Approval Reply with quote

I was about to accept an offer after an interview with their school, until I saw their contract. The salary seemed good (high), but the English section contained some things that made me uncomfortable. How would yoυ feel about accepting a position with the following parameters? Would yoυ do it?
------------
"Upon assigned teaching tasks, Party B shall submit the information concerning the text book(s) and any other teaching resources that is(are) to be used. If it happened that Party B had to use foreign publications, sample copies, either printed or digital, should be handed in to Party A for preview. Party A has the right to decline the utilization of text books or teaching resources if they contain any information that violates the regulations."
-----------
Party B shall, in the third week, submit course outlines, teaching plans and power point slides for the first five weeks.
-----------
In the 16th week of every semester, Party B shall submit final exam papers and suggested keys to the Director of relevant teaching and research section for supervision and consent. Only when the consent is granted can Party B proceed the oral test (for Spoken English classes) or hand in the exam papers for printing (for other exams).
-----------
Before the end of each semester, Party B shall submit examination results/mark sheets of the courses and all the class-teaching design of the whole semester together with all teaching plans, power point slides and other teaching resources and documents.
-----------
Upon the fulfillment of this contract, Party A will assess Party B’s job according the obligations and tasks as stipulated in the Contract. The assessment, applying a percentage grading system, will take into consideration four factors, including:

1) common conduct and abidance by the law and college regulations,
2) the fulfillment of duties,
3) teaching quality and,
4) the evaluation of the teaching on the part of the students, which will cover respectively 10, 40, 30 and 20 percent of the total assessment score. The full score will be 100 marks.

If Party B achieves 90 or above, he/she will be awarded an Excellency bonus of 8,000 RMB pretax by Party A. In the event that Party B fails the assessment, Party A has the right not to renew the contract with Party B.
-----------

The last point mentioned from the outside seems inviting. However, students are included as 20% of your assessment score. In my opinion, it's a little weird that you'll be given a bonus according to what the students think of yoυ. After all...a score of 90% is near perfect.

Anyway, opinions please! Did I make a good choice to pass it up?

Last edited by chryanvii on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the second and last point I did not like.

You are meeting new students with no previous learning being handed over, we want 15 weeks of work. They are very unorganized. They could ask for a potential scheme of work I guess.

You will then be assessed if you cannot gain a fast understanding of where the students are in the subject? Your scheme of work is now in question.

It is right to avoid people like this, unless they can explain it clearly, and add it to contract. If you walk into a place without knowing what has been happening it is hard at first. They should know this.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very good chance that they don't even look at your planning. I had to do something similar and ended up doing a pretty poor job since I had never something like this before at the time. Didn't hear a negative word. Sometimes, the FAO is told to collect this by his boss who can't even read English. So the papers never even get read. They sit there and do nothing.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't make the necessary effort to do well. It means that it isn't as big a deal as it sounds and you shouldn't be intimidated by this when deciding whether or not to take the job.

What would influence me is the whole evaluation percentage deal. Having your students think you're cool shouldn't account for 20% of your assessment. I also don't like the idea of mysterious regulations being used to reject or accept your plans.
JB140767

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: All PPT and Lesson Plans Must Be Submitted for Approval Reply with quote

chryanvii wrote:
I was about to accept an offer after an interview with their school, until I saw their contract. The salary seemed good (high), but the English section contained some things that made me uncomfortable. How would yoυ feel about accepting a position with the following parameters? Would yoυ do it?
------------
"Upon assigned teaching tasks, Party B shall submit the information concerning the text book(s) and any other teaching resources that is(are) to be used. If it happened that Party B had to use foreign publications, sample copies, either printed or digital, should be handed in to Party A for preview. Party A has the right to decline the utilization of text books or teaching resources if they contain any information that violates the regulations."
-----------
Party B shall, in the third week, submit course outlines, teaching plans and power point slides for the first five weeks.
-----------
In the 16th week of every semester, Party B shall submit final exam papers and suggested keys to the Director of relevant teaching and research section for supervision and consent. Only when the consent is granted can Party B proceed the oral test (for Spoken English classes) or hand in the exam papers for printing (for other exams).
-----------
Before the end of each semester, Party B shall submit examination results/mark sheets of the courses and all the class-teaching design of the whole semester together with all teaching plans, power point slides and other teaching resources and documents.
-----------
Upon the fulfillment of this contract, Party A will assess Party B’s job according the obligations and tasks as stipulated in the Contract. The assessment, applying a percentage grading system, will take into consideration four factors, including:

1) common conduct and abidance by the law and college regulations,
2) the fulfillment of duties,
3) teaching quality and,
4) the evaluation of the teaching on the part of the students, which will cover respectively 10, 40, 30 and 20 percent of the total assessment score. The full score will be 100 marks.

If Party B achieves 90 or above, he/she will be awarded an Excellency bonus of 8,000 RMB pretax by Party A. In the event that Party B fails the assessment, Party A has the right not to renew the contract with Party B.
-----------

The last point mentioned from the outside seems inviting. However, students are included as 20% of your assessment score. In my opinion, it's a little weird that you'll be given a bonus according to what the students think of yoυ. After all...a score of 90% is near perfect.

Anyway, opinions please! Did I make a good choice to pass it up?

Run away - its a horror show
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: