Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yangzhou & Shuren School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
claka77

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Yangzhou & Shuren School Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if anyone has lived and worked in Yangzhou (Jiangsu)? I've been offered an interview with Shuren Middle/High School (I think that's the name of the school, otherwise it's a group of schools under a business name 'Shuren').
-It pays 18000rmb per month over 16 months (the contract runs from mid-February 2019 to mid 2020).
-The contract states a maximum of 20 teaching periods per week with 156rmb per extra class if I get overtime.
-8000rmb each way for the airfares.

I could probably teach at an international school however I more or less have quit primary teaching in Australia (I have taught ESL in China before though, mostly in Guangdong). There are a couple of little things that concern me in the contract details regarding leave (I'm planning to spend a week in Japan to watch the Rugby World Cup in October, I may go in September before the CNY Spring festival period however my plan was to go there in mid-October with a couple of mates from Australia as I'm still in Sydney right now). However, I'm generally okay with the contract. But is it better teaching at a Chinese public school (I've worked for recruiters who assign teachers to public schools but not a private high school).

I'll admit from past experience I only enjoyed living in Guangzhou and Shenzhen (I've tried to live in a small town near Chengdu and a small distant town in Suzhou). In both cases, I was put in a position where I had to do extra work (right after arriving in China) due to the schools not having enough teachers (I got worn out and angry, in both cases I did a runner). In the tier 1 cities I stayed in I finished the contracts and I also found it easier to do things outside of home (along with having more friends, particularly foreigners but also a few Chinese).

I guess that's my worry with living in a place like Yangzhou; it's a difficult place to travel from I believe. I'd love to hear from anyone who has lived and worked there.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't lived there, but I did a summer camp in Yangzhou. I'd say if you aren't crazy about smaller cities and prefer places like Guangzhou and Shenzhen, you should probably go to a place like Guangzhou or Shenzhen. There are plenty of public school jobs in those places with just as good of a salary. Yangzhou was nice enough, but yes, small and not so easy to travel from.
Mixal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there another posted who relocated to Yangzhou relatively recently but ultimately didn't enjoy it because he too preferred larger cities? "Originalprankster" or something like that.

Yangzhou's problem is that it's not well connected to other cities by railway. I believe there are no trains to Shanghai or Suzhou for example, so it does feel a bit out of the way.

The package seems good... but if you've only enjoyed living in megalopolises, I am sure you could find similar package in desired locations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: