Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work permit for Malaysia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura Ingalls

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Work permit for Malaysia Reply with quote

Hi. I'm asking this on behalf of a student of mine who would like to know whether it would be possible to work legally in Malaysia with an unrelated BA and CELTA. She's not too concerned about pay and such but just wants to live in Kuala Lumpur for personal reasons. Thank you.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Malaysia six years ago after having taught there for 16 years. Hopefully someone currently in Malaysia will also answer, but if they don't, here is what I have for your student.

Someone without an English degree could work legally if they could find a school that would navigate the application process through immigration AND the education ministry (EM). At the time that I was leaving Malaysia (2012), the education ministry was cracking down on people teaching in Bachelors degree programs who did not have a degree in that subject themself. And it wasn't just expats that they were targetting.

I had several Malaysian colleagues who had MBAs and were teaching business. Their BA degrees were in things like chemistry and law. But because their BA degrees did not say 'Business' or some similar name, they were told they could not teach business, but rather chemistry and law, respectively. Likewise, I was teaching engineering subjects (hydrology, hydraulics) because I am a hydrologist, but was told I could not teach engineering because my BS degree wasn't in engineering. The EM was getting to be very anal.

Last edited by KayuJati on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
KayuJati

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, three or four years ago (check out older posts in this forum), my former college had to lay off several expat English teachers because they were teaching ESL (and academic English) but did not have BA degrees in English. I contacted a former colleague at the college and she confirmed that the EM was being very difficult to deal with and that the college no longer wanted to try to fight the policy.

So, I won't say that it is impossible for a BA degree holder in a subject other than English to teach English in Malaysia, I will say that it would be very difficult for the school to get both a visa (immigration) and work permit (EM). Your student would be better off looking for a school that needs him or her to teach the subject in which he or she holds the BA.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Work permit for Malaysia Reply with quote

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Hi. I'm asking this on behalf of a student of mine who would like to know whether it would be possible to work legally in Malaysia with an unrelated BA and CELTA. She's not too concerned about pay and such but just wants to live in Kuala Lumpur for personal reasons. Thank you.

If you mean in private language centres then I believe the answer is yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: