Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Visit Visa cancellation necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Work Visit Visa cancellation necessary? Reply with quote

I worked in KSA for less than 3 months, on a Work Visit Visa (365 days multiple entry/ exit every 30 days), then resigned, for urgent family reasons. Was it necessary to have the visa cancelled at the airport before final departure? Since I did not have an Iqamah, or residency, there were no clearance formalities to undergo.

Now, I have got a job elsewhere in the GCC.

If the Work Visit Visa is not cancelled, does this have a negative effect in another GCC country, when applying for a new work visa and residency there? My work visa is currently "under process" and is taking longer than normal. My sponsor has submitted all the correct paperwork in a timely fashion. When they approach immigration about the delay, no reason is given.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your KSA work visit visa shouldn't impact your ability to get a bona fide work visa elsewhere in the GCC. When did you depart KSA?

You also don't mention the current country, but generally, work visas take longer to process than visit visas. For example, Kuwait is said to be bureaucratic pain in the okole for new expats.
hash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also don't mention your nationality which may have some bearing in your case.

I assume - although again, you didn't mention it in your post - that you are using the same passport you used in KSA to apply for your new job.

I always advise previous employees in the Gulf to obtain a new passport once they relocate to their country of origin before applying for a new job in the Gulf, just to "clear the deck". Your still valid KSA visa glaring up at the new country immigration officials in your old passport may indeed be the reason for the delay you're experiencing.

GCC rules and regulations (I imagine) are changing all the time and what was true 3 months ago may have just been changed.

Obtaining a new passport (even when the old one may still have years of validity) is a very easy process for US citizens. You simply apply for a new passport, pay the usual fee and turn in your old one, no questions asked.

I realize each country has its own rules regarding passports, so it may not be so simple for you to obtain a new passport as it is for US nationals (at this point).
Salander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hash, you make a very valid point that GCC rules are changing over time. I am indeed on the same passport, and I think this still valid visa for Saudi is the causing the delay.

Pity I didn't request they cancel it at the airport leaving Saudi, but wasn't sure if that was possible.

If the visa application is rejected for this reason, I could very easily and quickly get a new passport. Then, possibly re-start the visa application process. Same name, different passport. I could ask my sponsor if this is viable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: