Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8% Social Tax?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: 8% Social Tax? Reply with quote

I've been offered a job at an International School in Beijing.

They have mentioned a 8% Social Tax that I can apparently claim back when I 'leave China'?

Is this an easy and normal process? Smile
doogsville

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called social insurance, and it's also usually 10% of your salary for foreigners. You'll get a card, it's an ATM card, which will allow you to check the balance, but not withdraw cash directly. You can also use it at pharmacies to pay for medications, and at hospitals to pay for treatment. There are certain restrictions on both, but I'm not familiar with all of them. You can claim it back either when your contract ends or you leave China. It's easy if you are a fluent Chinese speaker of have help. You go to the nearest government social security office and fill in a form and sign it and the money will be available to withdraw from an ATM in about 6 working days. They'll give you a printout of the accrued amount.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This social tax isnt mandatory though in some provinces and many FTs will not be paying this out of their income. If the school/company pays private insurance then the social tax is voluntary, hence FTs will be unable to claim tax back when they leave China.
I think it might be mandatory in Beijing but I know it's def not in Shanghai for example. Perhaps others can weigh in with more info.
lionheartuk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't pay anything towards social tax. The school has private medical insurance for us. I recently claimed back 75% of my medical costs for an operation I had last summer which cost me just short of 15,000 rmb
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, never paid. It was all the rage a few years ago, but most employers just found a way around it. I am fully covered by private insurance, that the school pays for, last school stuck the cost on us Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: