Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shenzhen Public High School vs Beijing Private International

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Shenzhen Public High School vs Beijing Private International Reply with quote

I've be offered ESL jobs in a Shenzhen Public High School and a Beijing Private International.

The latter is slightly more lucrative but in an isolated area.

Moreover, I'm intent on finding side gigs. Could I find just as many in Shenzhen as there appear to be in the cold polluted Beijing?

many thanks.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just as much side work in Shenzhen, methinks. A big issue would be housing in Beijing. Are they providing housing? If not, have you factored in the extra cost that might bite into that slightly more lucrative salary? Have you been to Beijing? How much does pollution affect you? Pollution doesn't affect me personally (I mean, beyond the long-term damage), but it REALLY gets to some people.
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have offered me accommodation on campus at a minimal cost.

The pollution gets to me mentally at the very least.

Tough decision for me. The pretty much guaranteed ability to save in Beijing vs a better lifestyle where I'd inevitably have to 'hustle' for extra cash.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if everything else is about the same in my mind, I'd always take the job with a higher guaranteed salary and just relax in my free time. I've seen people make great money working on the side, but they really hustle for it. I've also seen other people work really hard to find side gigs and privates only to be frustrated by how unstable that part-time work can be. Especially private lessons- students suddenly quit, go on vacation, find a teacher who charges less/is prettier than you, and that money you were counting on every month is gone.

I guess it depends on your priorities and how much extra effort you want to put in. In my experience the best side jobs are the ones who come to me (often my own employer has a friend, etc.). That can happen anywhere and I see it as a bonus rather than something I budget for. I've never had great happiness/success when I go out hunting for extra teaching $$$.
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say, great advice.
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've accepted the Beijing offer.

Due to a UK mortgage commitment, I need to save most of my salary. I'm quietly confident I can find weekend work teaching at training centres.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That or get deported and fined for working illegally. Be careful.
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya.

I'll keep some spare RMB on me should there be a raid.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totall agree with Simon's post.
I've took on private classes and tutored students on occasion and hated it for the most part. I much prefer to have a well paid Mon-Fri gig and enjoy my weekends and long hols off. And like Simon said, if some nice extra cash in the form of side gigs lands on my lap I'll decide if it's worth it. That cash is just a sweet bonus.
In saying that, my wife is always on to me over the years to take on part time work and I totally understand her perspective as the money can be huge. I've got 500+ per hour before and this is hard to pass up for a couple of hours work on a Friday eve / Sat. But I havent taken on any in the past two years or so and am much more relaxed because of it!
Big Worm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol if this is Huijia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: