Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Uni teachers who teach online for side work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellychess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Any Uni teachers who teach online for side work? Reply with quote

Seems ideal to me. You can do extra work without risking getting caught.

Any pitfalls I'm missing?

Cheers
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are really legal pitfalls, i.e. getting deported, etc. I've never done it, but from what I've heard from others the downsides include VERY BADLY RUN online teaching companies and the headaches dealing with them, scrambling for customers who will likely drop you in favor of a blonde 23 year old Ukranian, and fairly poor pay.
jagb6f

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Teaching Online Reply with quote

Hello! I'm actually a University teacher doing exactly that right now. I can talk a little but I've only been doing it about two months, so I'm not an expert.

As Simon In Suzhou mentioned, you have to be careful of the badly run online teaching companies, so you need to do your research. I suggest joining an Online Teachers Group on Facebook, it's got thousands of teachers on it and some really good reviews of the popular schools

The requirements for good money are 1. Native Speaker 2.University Degree 3. Willingness to work Beijing peak times. If you're a University teacher in China yourself I'm sure you fulfill all of those.

I've also noticed two types of teaching companies. 1-The company assigns you classes. This is probably the best way to make a lot of money, as you'll always have students but you're stuck to that schedule, and can lose money if you have to cancel class to do anything.

2.-You try to find students yourself on the platform. That's the one I'm doing. It took about 3 weeks to get a steady supply of students, but now I have so many I've had to post a note saying I'm not accepting any more. You probably make less money this way BUT there's also no penalty if you decide to cancel class, so there's a lot more freedom.

Ending it here because I'm worried about the word limit, but let me know if you have more questions and I can answer below!
nellychess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Online Reply with quote

jagb6f wrote:
Hello! I'm actually a University teacher doing exactly that right now. I can talk a little but I've only been doing it about two months, so I'm not an expert.

As Simon In Suzhou mentioned, you have to be careful of the badly run online teaching companies, so you need to do your research. I suggest joining an Online Teachers Group on Facebook, it's got thousands of teachers on it and some really good reviews of the popular schools

The requirements for good money are 1. Native Speaker 2.University Degree 3. Willingness to work Beijing peak times. If you're a University teacher in China yourself I'm sure you fulfill all of those.

I've also noticed two types of teaching companies. 1-The company assigns you classes. This is probably the best way to make a lot of money, as you'll always have students but you're stuck to that schedule, and can lose money if you have to cancel class to do anything.

2.-You try to find students yourself on the platform. That's the one I'm doing. It took about 3 weeks to get a steady supply of students, but now I have so many I've had to post a note saying I'm not accepting any more. You probably make less money this way BUT there's also no penalty if you decide to cancel class, so there's a lot more freedom.

Ending it here because I'm worried about the word limit, but let me know if you have more questions and I can answer below!

Awesome. Do you travel and still teach online when you do? To me the best part about doing that is that you can still earn money while your school is off, even if you are traveling.
Thanks for the advice. Which one do you use?
jagb6f

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Teaching Online Reply with quote

Hm, I've actually never tried traveling with it before, I've only been doing it two months, but it IS nice to be able to pull in some extra income when my University is on holiday. I used it in my wife's hometown, which is a tiny, tiny village in the countryside during Spring Festival and I had absolutely no problems, however I'm not sure how good the WiFi/4G(I've used both with no problem here in China) would be if you visited places like Thailand or the Philippines, so you might need to be careful with that.

The one I use is called Language Master or Lan-Master(I've seen it both ways) and I just used it because they were advertising on Wechat moments and they can pay directly to Alipay which is super convenient.

I like them so far as they give you halfway-decent PPT slides to use for conversations with the students, but downside is they take 20% of your earnings every month. I'm not sure if that's common for other online teaching apps. I'm doing some more research on online teaching companies, and this was just the first and easiest one I found, so I might move on in the future.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
jagb6f

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Teaching Online Reply with quote

Oops, double post
nellychess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive researched a few companies, but havent applied yet. Dada seems to be the most popular. Another one called Palfish which is all on your phone seems interesting. So many ways to promote yourself, you set the pay, pay is by the minute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: