Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia...and sixty years old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia...and sixty years old Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a native English speaker with a U.S. passport, a BA (English) and a TEFL Cert from Oxford Seminars. And no previous ESL teaching experience...

I will be sixty when I am in Serbia, Bosnia, Romania and Bulgaria -- how likely does it seem that I will be able to find work adequate to pay rent on a one bedroom apartment in a working class area of a town with some intellectual/cultural life like Sofia or Belgrade?

I want out of the U.S. on a log-term basis!

Thanks.
Rehcra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a quick look at their website, it seems that the Oxford Seminars course does not include observed teaching practice. If that's so, then a reputable school would not touch you, I'm afraid.
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Oxford Seminars is pretty much worthless. However, "reputable schools" might be setting the bar a bit high -- what about other options that will allow me to buy groceries and pay the rent on time?

Thanks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay in none of the countries you mention is great even for highly qualified teachers. You'll be barely scraping by if you are lucky.
General Disarray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belgrade isn't a cheap city;

A good friend of mine married a Serbian girl and lives in the north in a small town; the local language school paid him $8 an hour I think which was a good rate given the town, but he gave the job up saying it wasn't worth it considering the difference to online teaching, marking and lesson planning.

He makes more than enough for online teaching though to meet all expenses ($14 an hour roughly, so $1200-$1300 a month).

I lived in Budapest for 5 years; UK passport and a CELTA, I would only go back to that part of the world to teach English again with an online job as my main income and top up with private, language schools. The hours would dovetail nicely as well.

8 years ago; they paid 2600HUF an hour for English teachers, last time I heard which was last year; a friend of mine was getting paid 2700HUF an hour to teach English.

While rent has almost doubled.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rehcra wrote:
From a quick look at their website, it seems that the Oxford Seminars course does not include observed teaching practice. If that's so, then a reputable school would not touch you, I'm afraid.

Out of curiosity, would Oxford Seminars training be suitable (as a potential ESL teacher) for a degree holder with a Teaching License from a US State or Canadian Province?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA or equivalent with the observed practicum would be better - having taught a content subject in the first language of the students isn't indicative of ability to teach a second language. The skill sets required overlap somewhat but not a great deal.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
A CELTA or equivalent with the observed practicum would be better - having taught a content subject in the first language of the students isn't indicative of ability to teach a second language. The skill sets required overlap somewhat but not a great deal.

FWIW, I was in a CELTA course a number of years ago, and while many classmates had degrees and some small ESL "teaching" course such as Oxford Seminars (or similar) they were in the CELTA course because it was considered a Gold Standard and would "get them better jobs" in Asia. They told me of the poor wages they had been receiving and were confident they would be getting more after completion of their CELTA course. They already had several years of ESL teaching experience and also had a non-relevant degree (usually in a Social Science). Just my observation - not a criticism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: