Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching a subject area in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Teaching a subject area in China Reply with quote

I understand that teaching a subject-such as math or history-is much more lucrative and stable than teaching EFL in China. I am especially interested in teaching history in China. I know of a couple of recruiters who hire for such posts. Are there alternative ways to find a good position? I hold several degrees in history but do not hold a teacher's license. Thank you for your assistance.
rocket man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a lot of the "international schools" (schools that teach Chinese students who want to go to the US/Canada/Australia for college) will hire history teachers who don't have teaching credentials if you have 2 years of ESL teaching experience. Be familiar though with US Common Core curriculum though.

Be aware of a couple of things: 1) there are certain topics the government will not allow you to cover. 2) the student level in many schools is awful especially when it comes to their English level and many have no business being in all English curriculum.

Some schools have websites in English or advertise here or on the other major job boards

Do your homework and you will be fine
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Degree, experience, willingness to put the work in and a positive attitude can get you a long way here down the subject teaching route.
Main pros imo: it's more interesting than teaching english (obviously presuming that oneself is interested in the subject), you create a niche for yourself and avoid the dancing monkey politics of english teaching (to a certain extent at least), less grading and in turn less admin duties in general, less pressure.
Potential cons: I've seen FTs take on subject teaching positions and then found themselves in over their heads. You need to know your stuff. You dont get spoon fed and often dont have the support that the English teachers might have.
I know that many schools here find it quite difficult to fill subject FT positions.
Dartanyan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach US history in China with only a BA from the US.

Does anyone know if I can do this in other countries?

D
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Difficult Reply with quote

Dartanyan wrote:
I teach US history in China with only a BA from the US.

Does anyone know if I can do this in other countries?

D

The only other country I know much about is Thailand and in that country a BA would probably be enough only if you were a certified teacher. I once ran into a group of teachers in Bangkok, and they told me their school was hiring. The only thing that mattered to them was whether or not I was certified: they didn't care that I held several degrees in the subject.
I believe China is an exception in that certification is not always required. Most other countries may be part of an international network that requires certification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: