Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New background check each time you switch employers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: New background check each time you switch employers? Reply with quote

I went through the long and expensive process of getting an authenticated criminal background check so I could find a new job in a new province after Xinjiang stopped renewing residence permits for foreigners.

Unfortunately, the university I moved to wasn't a good fit - The demands are similar to a private training school and they pay peanuts (and they don't need to pay more due to an ample supply of Peace Corps volunteers who the school doesn't need to pay and secret Christian missionaries who are just happy to be doing their secret mission).

I'd like to switch jobs but I'm not sure if my criminal background check is still valid. It would be a huge pain in the ass to do all of that again. Anyone have any experience with this situation?
thechangling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Validity Reply with quote

They're valid for 6 months as far as i know.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Validity Reply with quote

thechangling wrote:
They're valid for 6 months as far as i know.

Does that means anyone hoping to switch to a new school after one year needs to do the whole process from scratch with a new criminal background check from home and a new authentification?

There's really nobody here with any experience switching schools in the past few years?
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the present school that you obtained your visa for have to give it's OK? Otherwise you have to wait for the visa to run out and start over again, or stay in China on your present visa and work under the table - without the knowledge of the school that you wish to quit of course. If you're in China there are plenty of kindergartens or language schools that will snap you up. Kindergartens can be fun and meaningful to work for as long as you're not messed with, which is becoming increasingly difficult now.

Once you find a good or decent school, you have to stay at that school. The reason is there are plenty of 'anglerfish schools' waiting to attract your attention and essentially do something to you that is not good. Unfortunately there are plenty of them in China, along with all the schools in Thailand and other countries.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing only the local PSB could answer.
thechangling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Validity Reply with quote

I actually switched schools in my city after one year at the Uni here across to a high school and was verbally told a new crc would be needed but not the health check. But i didn't switch my residence permit. I had to go home and get a new Z visa first.
wawaguagua

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I should have clarified that I'm not planning on quitting my current job. I'm just not planning to renew the contract for a second year. I'm wondering if I need to go through the background check process again to get a new job in a new province after I finish this current contract.
DanF1982

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told to simply sign a "no criminal records commitment" and provide my 2 year old legalised criminal records check, I'm staying in the same province (Jiangsu).

It seems daft to apply for a new one from your home country if you've been living in China since you had your last criminal records check, but logic and Chinese bureaucracy don't always mix too well.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking the criminal check has more to do with financial crimes. I once thought, why after 1- years and never leaving, would they ask for a criminal check. Only crime I could have done is financial and/or trafficking. Completely possible, but they should be looking into that domestically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: