Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China to Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechangling

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: China to Thailand Reply with quote

Has anyone out there successfully made the transition from teaching English in China to Thailand?
I want to escape the air pollution in China and have been following aqicn.org for a long time and can see that some parts of Thailand have good air quality.
One recruiter has suggested my Chinese wife and baby may have to do 30 day visa runs to Laos if I work and teach in Thailand with them living with me which sounds absurd.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with the 30 day visa runs, is your wife would only be able to do that for a year or so before they flagged her passport.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no experience with this particular situation (China to Thailand) so I can't really say how accurate this information is, but my feeling is that it is not accurate.

Basically for Thailand, there's absolutely no need to be in touch with any recruiters. You should be in direct contact with the schools before arrival and you can arrive and look for work while on a tourist visa. Research all your options regarding location, schools, etc., then show up and finalize. Unless you get a really sweet deal, there's no need to commit to anything before arriving.

In terms of air pollution, both Bangkok and Chiang Mai have been in the news recently.

Finally, you should really understand how unstable Thailand's political and economic situation is at the moment. Keep an eye on the news before flying in.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: China to Thailand Reply with quote

thechangling wrote:
Has anyone out there successfully made the transition from teaching English in China to Thailand?
I want to escape the air pollution in China and have been following aqicn.org for a long time and can see that some parts of Thailand have good air quality.
One recruiter has suggested my Chinese wife and baby may have to do 30 day visa runs to Laos if I work and teach in Thailand with them living with me which sounds absurd.

IF you are legally married AND you are legally working in Thailand ( Non-B visa and work permit) then your wife and child can obtain a "non-immigrant O" visa as your dependent family.

There is NO need for border hops and repeated visa runs if you are working legally and have your paperwork ready.

In addition to your requirements to work here (authenticated degree, university issued transcripts, police clearance (and possibly a TOEIC test depending on your country of passport)) you will need embassy authenticated copies of your marriage certificate and the child's birth certificate showing you as one of the parents.

nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: China to Thailand Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
you will need embassy authenticated copies of your marriage certificate and the child's birth certificate showing you as one of the parents.

If married in China to a Chinese national would it be acceptable if the authenticated copies came from the Chinese gov vs home gov. Curious, neither my marriage nor my son's birth have been registered with my home gov.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: China to Thailand Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
suphanburi wrote:
you will need embassy authenticated copies of your marriage certificate and the child's birth certificate showing you as one of the parents.

If married in China to a Chinese national would it be acceptable if the authenticated copies came from the Chinese gov vs home gov. Curious, neither my marriage nor my son's birth have been registered with my home gov.

There is no differentiation between Chinese documents and home country documents. The only added requirement is that the Chinese documents will need to be translated to Thai for use in Thailand.

Government issued documents written in English do not require translation but still require issuing country authentication.

A side note, your marriage may or may not be required to be registered in your home country but only a fool would forgo registering the legitimate birth of a child in their home country. Having dual nationalities and 2 passports is certainly advantageous (especially in cases like this).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: