Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can it get worse than this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desertdawg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Can it get worse than this? Reply with quote

I may be looking for a new job soon and saw this. Unbelievable. Surely a new low in these demanding times.

Monthly Salary: From 1500 USD 1800 USD (for Natives)
Depending on their Teaching background and Experience
From 700 USD 1000 USD (for non-natives)
Depending on their Teaching background and Experience
Yearly and Renewal Increments ( depending on the performance of the teachers)
Accommodation: provided by the company ( Shared flat)
Medical Insurance: covered by the company
Working days: from Saturday to Thursday
(Saturdays are for Speaking Courses and Reviews. And Thursdays are for Examinations)
Working Hours: From 2 PM to 10 PM (90 Minutes per lesson within a break of 10 minutes)
Round-trip Flight Ticket: will be provided by the company ( Coming to Saudi Arabia and going back to the Country of Origin after 2 YEARS for vacation)
Duration of the Contract: 2 Years ( renewable)
Vacation: 21 Days for each year of work = 42 days after finishing the Contract (Two Years
Starting Date: as soon as possible
AbeCross

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Saudi economy failing Reply with quote

I have also seen some ludicrous job offers of late. For instance, universities are always hiring through dodgy agencies that pay peanuts.
The economy is hurting. Saudization and economic diversification have failed. Oil prices are low. Diminished government revenues are wasted in an endless war in Yemen or in some never-to-be-completed grandiose project. Politically, the country is isolated, and that isolation will only increase if Trump leaves office.
The paltry wages also do nothing for the image—as well as the viability—of the TEFL profession in KSA.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: screw that Reply with quote

Can the last person turn off the lights please?
caliph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma is a ......

All those trillions wasted over the decades. Had that money been invested in reasonable things, the country could just be sitting back and enjoying life.

Oil is no longer a solution for the KSA. Even with the tanker attacks today, oil prices only went up a dollar and a half. The USA is a net exporter of energy, and even before that, the USA only got 15% from the gulf states.

Oil prices will hover between $35.to $55. a barrel in the near to midterm.

Because of uncontrolled population growth, the KSA is heading toward third world status. This does not bode well for the powers that be.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I saw some TEFL job adverts looking for volunteers to teach English in the Great Sandbox.....me thinks this would appeal to many 20 or 30 year old jobless muslim Brits or homeless Anericans! Shocked
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saudi economy failing Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
I have also seen some ludicrous job offers of late. For instance, universities are always hiring through dodgy agencies that pay peanuts.
The economy is hurting. Saudization and economic diversification have failed. Oil prices are low. Diminished government revenues are wasted in an endless war in Yemen or in some never-to-be-completed grandiose project. Politically, the country is isolated, and that isolation will only increase if Trump leaves office.
The paltry wages also do nothing for the image—as well as the viability—of the TEFL profession in KSA.

Great comment.

EFL Educator wrote:
Recently I saw some TEFL job adverts looking for volunteers to teach English in the Great Sandbox.....me thinks this would appeal to many 20 or 30 year old jobless muslim Brits or homeless Anericans! Shocked

Only if they could scrape together the funds to get a work visa.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unlikely that many natives will apply. For a non-native, hoping to get started in ESL, this is going to look more attractive. For example Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans, and many Indians have fewer options. $1000 a month looks a lot better to some people whose only other option is manual labor, at even lower pay.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For non-native English teachers, 1000 US a month is paradise. Any decency in the past given out to NET's is gone. NET's in the foreign teacher arena should trust no one, no matter how nice, friendly and smiling the person is.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voyagerksa wrote:
For non-native English teachers, 1000 US a month is paradise. Any decency in the past given out to NET's is gone. NET's in the foreign teacher arena should trust no one, no matter how nice, friendly and smiling the person is.

I have no doubt they will be mistreated. The job is posted as ASAP because the last teacher got chopped up with a bone saw and dissolved with carbolic acid before being poured down the drain.

In my last job (not the one I have now) the Indians seemed to enjoy being mistreated. I know that sounds odd, but they really did. They seemed to take it as a badge of pride. As if their ability to take abuse made them more valuable an employee. I guess in some ways it did, since these were the ones that tended to keep their jobs.

But yea, $1000 a month plus room and board and full medical insurance -- let's face it, that's more than most New Yorkers take home after rent and utilities. No joke. A lot of my friends in the United States work 60 hours a week and they cannot rub two nickels together. Someone with an extended family in Kerala that can send back $800 a month would have god-like status in their village.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For teachers with experience China pays just as much as Saudi Arabia. China has pollution, but so does Saudi Arabia from all the dust blown up. The students are better, Chinese people are nicer etc.. If you have a science degree you can quickly pick up a job overseas in a much nicer place than Saudi Arabia for the same money and pay a lot less for the visa and be more assured of getting the visa and not being screwed by Saudi nonsense.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voyagerksa wrote:
For teachers with experience China pays just as much as Saudi Arabia. China has pollution, but so does Saudi Arabia from all the dust blown up. The students are better, Chinese people are nicer etc.. If you have a science degree you can quickly pick up a job overseas in a much nicer place than Saudi Arabia for the same money and pay a lot less for the visa and be more assured of getting the visa and not being screwed by Saudi nonsense.

I worked in China at one of the better positions. The only jobs I ever encountered that paid close to KSA wages were American universities with satellite campuses. Typically morale was low at these places because of very high workloads and poor communication between the American university and whatever Chinese university they were partnering with.

Among these were NYIT, which closed down, and NYU Shanghai which is still operating as far as I know.

If you know of any other high-salaried positions in China I would be interested to hear who they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: