Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American University of Phnom Penh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btscrg

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: American University of Phnom Penh Reply with quote

This new university in Phnom Penh does not honor the terms of their employee contracts. Faculty are treated very poorly, like Cambodian slaves, and they are micromanaged. There is absolutely no concern for quality of instruction. The owners and administrators are only interested in one thing: recruiting new students and keeping their parents paying the exorbitant tuition for as long as possible. The President and Vice-President are busy hiring only their friends for the well-paid administrative positions, all of whom MOD EDIT
AnneSansTete

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be more specific?
btscrg

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: AUPP Reply with quote

...not until I am safely out of the country.
Nicola563

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: American University of Phnom Penh Reply with quote

I know someone who worked at this university until recently, and what she told me matches what btscrg says. The school just can't keep faculty because of the way they are treated. She tells me that just about every faculty member who has ever worked there has left, and the school is only two years old.

I don't know whether it is true that the President and Vice President are hiring their buddies, but they sure are hiring. Right now their website lists no current faculty members, but job postings for just about every course and subject they offer (ESL and other.)
btscrg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both faculty and administrators have disappeared overnight from this institution without any explanation. One faculty member also serving as a Dean was forced to leave the country for "medical reasons" after she was robbed and injured on the street just around the corner from the school and dared to ask about sick leave at a faculty meeting. In fact, 4 teachers from the school were all robbed in the neighborhood over the course of one month. Administrators were nonplussed.

Faculty are not informed of mandatory-attendance presentations scheduled for external speakers by administration that sometimes conflict with class schedules. Communication among faculty/staff is virtually non-existent.

For me in particular, my contract was violated: I signed for 12 hours per semester, but taught 18 and 15 for fall and spring respectively. When I declined to continue as an interim Director of EPP, I came to work the next morning to find all of my office furnishings in the hallway to be moved to another office. I was also told that I would have to teach an additional Maymester course without any additional compensation in order to receive my final paycheck.

If you want to know who's running the show, you can find out all about her by googling Sharon Siverts, the President. She's left other messes at other schools, particularly in Africa. And the Cambodian board members are highly corrupt. They have absolutely no concern for quality of instruction. They told students they would help them transfer to American schools after their first 2 years, but now because of low enrollments they are doing everything they can to keep the students enrolled at AUPP.

One good thing: The students are great!
Nicola563

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Seems like you are right Reply with quote

I shared btscrg's update on AUPP with my friend who used to work there, and she confirms that as far as she knows it's all true (including the part about the great students.)
vivianao

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed an employment contract with this uni and will teach business for the next two year. They give a really good salary. I don't think teaching extra hours and doing extra activities are matters for me. They say I need to advise a club and also be academic adviser for a bunch of students. So excited for Cambodia!
btscrg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phnom Penh is the pits. The city is growing so rapidly, and they just don't have the infrastructure for it. I've worked in quite a few developing countries, and this was by far the worst. The air and all restaurant food smell/taste of vehicular pollutants, and it took me a solid month to finally get the smell out of my own bodily wastes. I feel like I was poisoned.
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivianao wrote:
I just signed an employment contract with this uni and will teach business for the next two year. They give a really good salary. I don't think teaching extra hours and doing extra activities are matters for me. They say I need to advise a club and also be academic adviser for a bunch of students. So excited for Cambodia!

Are you a Cambodian who manages this place?
isabel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivianao wrote:

Too many times we go into new jobs all starry eyed, only to be sadly disappointed. I hope it isn't your experience, but the other posts here don't make me optimistic for you.
kvic23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: AUPP Reply with quote

vivianao wrote:

So viviano, how did things go for you at AUPP? I am thinking of applying for a position perhaps for next year, but would like to know whether things are as bad as they seem to be or whether they have improved.
kvic23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: AUPP Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant vivianao
theWizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: AUPP Reply with quote

I just finished working at AUPP after working for 2 semesters. I will admit that it is not a perfect place to work, but where is? I enjoyed my time working and teaching there and especially the awesome students. There were back office disagreements and sometimes unexpected hours requested but nothing as horrific as described in previous posts. Being flexible and knowing how to respond to different situations in the context of this culture is also important. This is just coming from my experience there. I’m leaving because I’m getting old and want to spend some time with my family, but I expect that I will return in 6 months or so if they will have me again Smile

I think the several posts made by the original author is more revealing about the person rather than the school. Especially saying "it took me a solid month to finally get the smell out of my own bodily wastes. I feel like I was poisoned.” Doing a bit of research about the place and how society and businesses are structured would help one long ways before making any commitments.

The education system and whole country needs a lot more open minded and committed individuals who want to improve the education standards and quality. I hope that others will take the opportunity to look into the University, the country and culture in general and decide for themselves if it is a good match for them.
CaseLThor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the salary for the English prep school there? I saw a job posting way back promising around $3,000 a month, which seems impossible in Cambodia.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: AUPP Reply with quote

kvic23 wrote:
vivianao wrote:

So viviano, how did things go for you at AUPP? I am thinking of applying for a position perhaps for next year, but would like to know whether things are as bad as they seem to be or whether they have improved.

ANY updates from anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: