Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone earning a living wage in Poland these days?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Anyone earning a living wage in Poland these days? Reply with quote

Zero hours and life on the bread line still the norm?
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sure is Dragonpiwo!

Doubt very much I will work there again, unless it's a short summer stint.

I was recently offered a couple of positions - one in Katowice and one in Warsaw. Both of them was a 30 hour week, with the Katowice one requiring teachers to work Saturday mornings. Both schools were paying 3,000 zl a month net, which included all holiday pay, but without a flat.

Both schools tried to fob me off by saying that Poland is a cheap country to live. Yes, it was ten years ago, but not any more. Prices for food, clothes and petrol is just about the same there now as in the rest of the EU. The very slight difference in prices is certainly no match for the big difference in salaries.

I am now earning close to the same as 6,000 zl a month net, for a 25 hour, no Saturday week, with a 60 metre beach-side flat for 300 euros a month.

So, yep, Poland is just holidays for me now. I'm afraid will things will definitely not change anytime soon.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

The golden days were the 90s. You could easily make 6 or 7 k back then and god it was cheap. Native speakers are 10 a penny there now in the big cities. I have a house and flat there, so when I retire, which will be quite soon, we'll be heading back. To be honest, it's only family ties that will make us settle there. My wife's very close to her sister and the kids and I have a son there. It's way better here in the UAE where I'm a Learning and Development Coordinator for a large petrochem company. Life's hard in Poland, people aren't so nice and the work's such a scramble. I always found working there stressful, not the teaching but the getting paid and messed around. The country's come a long way but nice things are way overpriced there. Funnily enough, there's a huge Polish community in the UAE. Most of our friends are Polish and they seem way happier here than there. Most say they're never going back to Poland and many are aghast at PiS and the political climate. From afar, Poland's a bit of a backward country in many ways. As far as I'm concerned it really isn't a teaching destination any more. Funnily enough, I've got a Polish veteran's CV in my inbox and we'll take him I think.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently back in Poland for the Christmas holidays and to spend time with friends.

I can now compare the prices to where I am now, and in-all-honesty, they're just about the same, with a little difference.

However with my current net salary, I would be extremely lucky to get brutto in Poland. I would certainly have to work a lot more hours than I do now.

It's all very sad, isn't it?
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here. In Warsaw, I don't work for a school but charge a minimum of 100 zl/hr. more if I think I can squeeze a business. I have more students than I can handle from morning to night. I don't particularly like Poland anymore, for many of the reasons mentioned. I would say 10k/month is a minimum amount to be making but even that isn't so great. Really, for more than a year or so, Poland gets to be a drag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: