Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA Tesol or MA linguistics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamb00zle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: MA Tesol or MA linguistics? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing one or the other next year and just seeking advice.

I'm currently based in the ME, soon to become a father and eventually in a few years, I'd like to go back to the UK (depending what happens with Brexit) but that's the aim. I'll be aiming to do it distance over a couple of years.

When I go back, I'll be targeting uni positions teaching foreign students or EAP.

My questions are threefold:

1) What are the differences between the two programmes?

2) I have the full DELTA/undergrad degree. Could that mean some units I won't need to study?

3) Which institutions offer the 'best' distance courses and which ones are to avoid?

Any info or advice, much appreciated.
Elicit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linguistics: semantics, pragmatics etc. with a little morphology and other areas you touched upon on the Delta. Many programmes are quite heavily theory-based.

Applied Linguistics: discourse analysis, corpus linguistics, systemic functional grammar etc. along with some modules related to Delta material. Theory with some more practice-based stuff.

TESOL/ELT: Delta material but more in-depth and approached from an action research perspective. Modules may include methodology, lexis and pedagogic grammar etc. More practice-based than the previous two majors.

Note: Modules on these 3 programmes can differ widely between universities.

2. Yes, Delta can count for up to a third of the degree. Do some research to find those universities that do accept the delta for part completion. Delta is more likely to be accepted for TESOL/ELT degrees and perhaps to a lesser extent the other two majors listed above.

3. I think Leicester offers a third off the required modules for its degree and seems relatively popular. If in your position, I would make a list of the universities that offer credit for the Delta and then choose by your interest in their programmes’ modules.
bamb00zle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
Linguistics: semantics, pragmatics etc. with a little morphology and other areas you touched upon on the Delta. Many programmes are quite heavily theory-based.

Applied Linguistics: discourse analysis, corpus linguistics, systemic functional grammar etc. along with some modules related to Delta material. Theory with some more practice-based stuff.

TESOL/ELT: Delta material but more in-depth and approached from an action research perspective. Modules may include methodology, lexis and pedagogic grammar etc. More practice-based than the previous two majors.

Note: Modules on these 3 programmes can differ widely between universities.

2. Yes, Delta can count for up to a third of the degree. Do some research to find those universities that do accept the delta for part completion. Delta is more likely to be accepted for TESOL/ELT degrees and perhaps to a lesser extent the other two majors listed above.

3. I think Leicester offers a third off the required modules for its degree and seems relatively popular. If in your position, I would make a list of the universities that offer credit for the Delta and then choose by your interest in their programmes’ modules.

Excellent advice, thanks a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: