Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NubianQueen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Looking for a contract Reply with quote

I am a certified teacher in the states. Having trouble finding something decent. I wanted to know if jobs will open up in time for February or if I need to hold off till August?

Last edited by NubianQueen on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rioux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of position dost thou seek?
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of good jobs open for a March 1 start. Keep searching.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be careful about jobs starting in Spring. Most likely the teacher left or was fired for some reason. It could be fine, but caution is needed when considering this situation. Being certified, and getting paid accordingly, it would be best to look for Fall 2020 start dates. Probably around February/March you could start applying. Employers on top of things would know by then what they need for the following year.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I would be careful about jobs starting in Spring. Most likely the teacher left or was fired for some reason. It could be fine, but caution is needed when considering this situation. Being certified, and getting paid accordingly, it would be best to look for Fall 2020 start dates. Probably around February/March you could start applying. Employers on top of things would know by then what they need for the following year.

Disagree. There is likely nothing shady about a Spring start. Many schools have teachers who are hired in the Spring and finish their contracts, and have been doing so for many years. That teaching position could have been abandoned by someone mid-contract 8 years ago with seven consecutive years of teachers finishing their contract in that position.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I would be careful about jobs starting in Spring. Most likely the teacher left or was fired for some reason. It could be fine, but caution is needed when considering this situation.

No more caution is needed than getting hired at any other time of the year. A job ad to start in spring could simply mean the school didn't fill the position the previous fall, so they're continuing to search for someone to start in the second term.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running on the assumption that the OP was wanting to put their state certification to work. Most schools that require certification do not hire for spring starts. It would mean that the teacher who taught semester one left for some reason (again, this is not automatically bad), and schools would not want to switch teachers mid-year.

Just my observation teaching in the international department of a high school here. I teach AP and if an AP teacher switched mid-year it would lead to a very disconnected curriculum for the course. The place I work has us decide if we will return the following fall before the spring festival so that they can start work on filling any vacancies. In the three years I have been here I have not seen a mid year switch of any teachers. In the fall some teachers miss a few weeks sorting out paperwork.

Previously, I worked at a university for nine year, and mid year switch did happen. However, they did not require certification and did not pay accordingly either.

OP: What subject are you certified to teach?
NubianQueen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Certifications Reply with quote

I am certified to teach ESL and Social Studies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: