Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remove short stint/bad school from resume, problem later?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teachurrrr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Remove short stint/bad school from resume, problem later? Reply with quote

Hello.

Short Version:

I want to know if it’s feasible to remove a bad school from my resume without record of it popping up in another Chinese provincial foreign affairs office.

I would like to interview for the next school without constantly have to relive and explain why this one school (6 month stint) out of 16 years in the classroom ended early.

= = = = =
Long Version:
My work visa process:
1. After successful interview(s), I send the potential school:
new check/degree (legalised by Chinese Embassy)
letters of previous work experience (references and end-of-service)
medical
2. The school prepares resume and docs, then applies for an invitation letter at the provincial foreign affairs office.
3. Once issued, the school sends it and we apply for a new Z Visa at the Chinese Embassy. Get on a plane.

My question is about the provincial foreign affairs office(s). Does anyone have direct knowledge: Are they connected?

I was at a school in Beijing for 6 months. We mutually ended the agreement for “reasons.”
I transferred my permits (work/residence) to Tianjin. I am about to finish a 12 month contract. I would stay but their international program is closing.

When I interview, some are concerned and inquire about “hopping around.”
I briefly explain first school “not a good fit,” second school “would stay but program closing.” My work experience before China is rather solid (2-4 years at each different school).

So … I would like to remove the Beijing school from my resume, basically add it together with experience from Tianjin and move forward as a stronger candidate.
(Self-righteous Ethics Committee Members lurking about need not chime in).

Yet, I do not know if a foreign affairs office in a new province would have record of my 6 months at a school in Beijing. I wouldn’t want the new HR to meet with a hang up because that was not on the resume.

If indications are no, then I would combine work experience in Beijing to Tianjin and that’s it.
If indications are yes, then I will have to suffer short tenure at this school on my resume that the rest of my time in China.

Any Constructive answers appreciated.

Best,

Teachurrrr
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you leave it on there and it doesn't bother them you're less likely to be declined.

If you leave it on there and it bothers them you might be declined.

If you take it off and they find it and it bothers them you might be declined.

If you take it off and they find it and it doesn't bother them you're less likely to be declined.

If you take it off and they don't find it so it doesn't bother them you're less likely to be declined.

Seems to me taking it off gives you more chance of success. Personally, I would call that a gap in my employment if I left under less than auspicious circumstances. Otherwise, I'd keep it on there and use it as a way to display some sort of personal quality/need. I have a record on my CV with a job which lasted three months, because my apartment's kitchen had a nest of unwanted guests *shudder* and the employer refused to help me.

Edit: One other matter; I have the reasons I left all of my jobs in my CV's employment history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: