Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Spain Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssjup81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Spain Recommendations Reply with quote

Hello. I'm interested in working in Spain. I was wondering what my options were besides RVF International. I'm from the US, btw.

I do not have a CELTA or TEFL, but did start one back in 2009 but due to an unexpected situation which left me hospitalized, I was kicked out of the program and wasn't allowed to re-enroll to try again.

Most of my experience is in Japan. 2010 - 2011, 2012 - 2018. So based on that information, do I have any other options or suggestions of places to apply to?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A US citizen with no TEFL and experience teaching only in Japan? Your options will be very slim (to none). Probably trying to enrol in university Spanish courses in Spain and teach on your student visa part-time is your best shot.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do have a BA with an edu concentration and my last year in Japan was at an international school as a lead teacher. Only returned home because of my father's health. He's good now.

Sucks one can't go on experience of any kind.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain (like all of western Europe) isn't hurting for English teachers and employers can afford to be picky in terms of who needs/does not need a visa (US citizens have to jump through considerable hoops that EU teachers don't). You are competing on a tight job market with UK teachers who at the moment still don't require significant paperwork. They will certainly get first dibs on anything going - and there is not that much going.

In any case, what works in Japan is not particularly compatible with European students. Apples and oranges.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Spain (like all of western Europe) isn't hurting for English teachers and employers can afford to be picky in terms of who needs/does not need a visa (US citizens have to jump through considerable hoops that EU teachers don't). You are competing on a tight job market with UK teachers who at the moment still don't require significant paperwork. They will certainly get first dibs on anything going - and there is not that much going.
Yeah, I figured that. It's easier for those from the UK and the EU in general (if I'm not mistaken) to head over there. I'm under the impression that eastern Europe would be easier to go to...like maybe Austria or something.
Quote:
In any case, what works in Japan is not particularly compatible with European students. Apples and oranges.
Yeah, I get that. Seems in Japan, all you need is a pulse for most ESL jobs there. Razz
juriusz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austria? Forget about it, not too many jobs there, and if there is anything, they will definitely want someone super qualified. It's also not considered to be Eastern Europe.

Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria offer more opportunities but don't expect to get rich in any of these countries.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Austria. Very exclusive, as noted above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: