Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Lesson Planning Resources?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj80

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Best Lesson Planning Resources? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Lesson planning, and marking, remain my two weakest links.

It just takes me three times as long as others to do, and I find the task so boring, and rather useless at times.

Does anyone have any templates, websites, resources, etc. for making a truly great lesson plan?

I will do anything to get more efficient at this.

Ideally, I would need little to no work at all and have something pre-set.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lesson Planning Resources? Reply with quote

bj80 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Lesson planning, and marking, remain my two weakest links.

It just takes me three times as long as others to do, and I find the task so boring, and rather useless at times.

Does anyone have any templates, websites, resources, etc. for making a truly great lesson plan?

I will do anything to get more efficient at this.

Ideally, I would need little to no work at all and have something pre-set.

Excuse me for asking, but is this for real? You find lesson planning and marking boring and useless, yet these are two of the more important tasks of teachers. You want to get better at both, but would rather pre-set templates to save time as opposed to learning how to do it yourself. My advice is consider another field of employment because it seems you really don't like teaching.
eihpos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That response is a bit unfair. I don’t think I’ve met many teachers who likes lesson planning, and even less who like marking. They are tedious. It doesn’t mean you need to change career. Unless you don’t like teaching, or students aswell.

It’s hard to answer the questions as I think it kind of depends on the age group and context. I think you probably have to plan kids lessons quite well, as they need a structure, but I don’t know any resources or have much experience in that area.

For uni level, I find if you have good materials and a set of outcomes you want to achieve it kind of falls together ok without a lesson plan typed out. (If you have some experience, I suppose). So, materials and aims are more important in my opinion! Making good resources, finding suitable readings, listening etc. are more my problem. However, if you need to produce lesson plans, I think just make a template that suits your context, class time, structure etc. and use it regularly. The templates online never really suit exactly your situation.

If you teach at a uni, If you know anyone who has worked in a presessional course where they actually have preset lessons (sometimes)you could ask for a look at how they have done it. Also, there are actually some jobs that provide lesson plans if you really hate it!

Resources I’ve found good for actual lesson plans include the British council and usingenglish.com. Other sides are the EAP pages of some universities, but I can’t think of which exactly off the top of my head. There are loads of lesson plans online. It depends on your context though.
bj80

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, EIHPOS.

I agree the response was unfair.

I do like leading a classroom, presenting the material, helping students learn the material that they do not automatically understand, etc.

But, I find planning each lesson, minute by minute, and grading the same basic thing over and over again, especially in a compressed timeframe, just drives me nuts and does not seem to do much value add. Places that do not have that make me 3x as productive.

As an example, I worked for a place in Beijing that used pre-set lesson plans from NG Cengage Reading Explorer.

The place I worked for is well-engineered. Chinese TA's keep the classroom clean, make sure parents can ask them questions, take care of payment, etc. They also administer the weekly vocab quizzes, mark them, etc.

Each of the 12 chapters lasts one week. One week, one chapter.

So, all we need to do is come on time, present the material, etc. The lesson planning was already done for us, the weekly vocab test administering and grading was done for us, the books of homework, supplemental reading vocab etc. were done for us, etc.

As a result, I could teach up to 36 hours a week, and would be paid accordingly. No time on lesson plans and grading.

I found my energy was stable, and I was engaged with the material. Not bad.

I wish every place could be like this.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Best Lesson Planning Resources Reply with quote

Hi, BJ
There are scores of websites and templates that address lesson plans. Lesson planning was an integral part of content of our MA/TESOL Program as well as teacher meetings. Before you begin, the teacher needs to establish what the learning objectives are for the lesson which will guide you in developing your plan.
A well-organized lesson plan generally includes teacher introduction of the target learning objective with ample examples (e.g., Power Point, video clip or other contextualized presentation), followed by teacher-guided, contextualized group practice. Then, move from guided, structured practice to meaningful practice (providing part of the response for students) and finally, communicative (independent) practice with peers. To monitor progress and check for understanding, an assessment can be administered in a subsequent class. This is a simplified overview as one size does not fit all.
Simply google "ESL Lesson Plans" or "ESL Lesson Plan templates for college students" or whatever population you are teaching. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Regards,
PS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: