Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Contracts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: UK Contracts Reply with quote

Thought I'd try and wake up the Italy forum.

Although I'm not interested in such a contract this year, I've noticed quite a few recruitment ads where the teaching is done under a UK PAYE contract. I presume this is to avoid the high Italian social security payments, but I'd be interested to hear any informed comment.

I'd imagine it would leave the teacher in a very dubious position regarding healthcare, for example.

dai, svegliati
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And like rubbing the bottle, the genie appears... in this case "moi"!

To get access to free health care on the Italian National Health Service, you need to be a resident. You can only really be a resident if all your paperwork is in order and if you are paying Italian taxes. Of course, if you are paying taxes in the UK, you can't claim this status. You could try, I guess, but it would hardly seem worth it if you're only going to be in Italy for a year or so. (Which is what most of these contracts are offering.)

Most of the teachers I know here aren't residents either - even when they're working on Italian contracts. It seems that either they can't get their landlords to sign a form saying they're legitimate tenants (difficult if the landlords haven't registered the tenancy agreements) or they don't really care about getting free health care. A lot of people see their GPs when they return to the UK, and they can also pay for private doctors if they get ill.

OK Sue. This thread is either going to fly now, or it will die a miserable death. When are you coming back to Rome, anyway?
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
OK Sue. This thread is either going to fly now, or it will die a miserable death. When are you coming back to Rome, anyway?

We're not doing very well here, are we? As for going back to Italy, that won't be this year I'm afraid due to various personal reasons. Next year though!

I do fancy a short break in September but that depends on lining up some work - the perils of short term contracts etc. I may have 3 hours teaching airline Italian, so might justify a research trip to Fiumicino! If I do I'll swap recommendations for (very) cheap hotels and trats for bringing over a large jar of Marmite, Blutack or whatever:-)

Sue
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Sue! Blutack sounds an odd choice - now if it were a bottle of Gordons I might be interested! Hotels aren't cheap here, unless you go to one of those pay-by-the-hour places in Termini. In fact, I realised when I was talking with a friend that you pay an awful lot more for a single supplement. It would work out cheaper if you came with a mate and got a double room. That's my top tip for the day!
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordons it is then (although Bombay Sapphire is very nice)! The blutac reference was because in the unsorted filing system that is my mind I recalled reading it was impossible to get hold of in Italy.

I've now got my 3 hours a week on beginners Italian with a cabin crew slant; now what the heck is "overhead locker" [etc etc] in Italian.

Only ten more weekly hours to line up to get survival pay! Incidentally you mentioned your school normally has plenty of work. Although I'm planning a year ahead what sort of rates do they pay. PM me if you want to be discreet.

Ta
Sue
sugar061

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told that if you pay in england then you can get health care here just get an e 111 form and all will be well. haven't been ill yet so don't know if it's true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: