Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities for Professional Development in Greece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontifex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Opportunities for Professional Development in Greece? Reply with quote

I recently acquired my CELTA qualification and wish to embark upon a career in TESOL. At the moment I'm considering working in Greece. I lived in Athens for a year at the close of the nineties and have returned every summer since. However, I am disuaded from locating to Greece on the understanding that few serious teaching opportunities exist in the country. I do NOT want a year in the sun; rather, I wish to live and work in a country that I love in order to develop my professional prospects.

I have only begun to research my options but I keep coming across the same stories: standards are lax, pay is paltry, and majority of DOSs are only in it for the money.

Can anyone persuade me otherwise? If so, could you provide me with some practical information?

PS

This is my first posting and I'm not sure how much personal detail will appear. Just in case you want to know something about who you are 'listening' to I'm a U.K. citizen, an English graduate, and I'm currently living in Glasgow.

Warm Regards

P
vre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a uk citizen, I worked in Greece for four years before moving to Turkey. (strange, I know). I enjoyed it there but there is no scope for PD and thats why I moved. I now have DELTA and lots of other things on my CV. It is a good starting point, Greece, but be prepared for being a mere foriegn teacher who will be given very little reward for your hard work. UK citizens have no probs gettin in Greece. Be careful where you choose and check out the school first! Unfortunately there are very few posters on the Greek forum here to get good info! It doesnt seem to be the most popular country these days! low pay and crap conditions, but I really enjoyed my life there!
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professional Development in Greece...........Ha ha ha......that's a good one!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: