Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large class size....

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Large class size.... Reply with quote

well, i just finished my first day working in taiwan. i have to admit that it was much like the hogwon i worked at in korea but in one respect it was vastly different.

of the 3 classes that i taught today, the smallest one had 30 students, and the other two had nearly 50. well, you can imagine the problems to overcome with that many adolescents in the same class. the smaller class (the youngest) was by far the best behaved and most knowledgeable, really a pleasure to teach. the other two larger classes were writeoffs.

is this huge class size normal for taiwan? if so, then i don't know if this is really the place for me. i like to get to know the students and see their improvement over time.... focusing on the teaching and not spending half the class disciplining the bad apples. can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Cheers.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working in a high school or a bushiban? At the bushiban where I work, a huge class would have 25 kids. Most are smaller. I teach a class at a junior high once a week that has 30 students. I'm not sure exactly what a normal class size is for all places in Taiwan. It does seem like your classes are larger than normal, though. Hopefully, the pay is similarly robust.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: well, Reply with quote

unfortunately the pay is not as robust as the class. i get the same for a huge class of misfits as i do for the smaller class of really good students. something i will try to address very soon, as i'm not signed to a contract yet. the headmaster of the school doesn't want ANY individual comunication in these large classes, just mass, choral work, which i don't think is good for me or the class.

these classes are at a public high school.

any ideas on what to do, suggestions..... anything....?
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Public Schools Reply with quote

Public schools are usually like that. They also pay considerably less than a Bushi Ban. You probably just came up with a bad gig. Throw the dice again, it will most probably be a better deal.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. It sounds like you're in an unworkable situation. Maybe you're out of it by now.(?) I hope so... If your from Korea and find the work harder here, I think there's a problem. I say this because most people, that I've met, who've come from Korea find the work to be easier here. Not all jobs are good, but there has to be something better than the one you're in now (or were in, hopefully). I'm not usually one to suggest that one ought to this or that. However, I know that there are far easier jobs out there (and possibly better paying), so you should seriously consider quitting. In my own gig, the last thing I could be said to be suffering from is overwork; a little boredom, perhaps, but certainly not overwork. A good way to find decent work is to meet other foreigners and network. It's easier said than done if your not particularly out-going, however, most foreigners you will meet are quite willing to talk to you, help you out and/ or provide you with leads. I hope this is helpful and I hope you find a better position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: