Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Work in Germany: Tips & Things to Consider

View previous topic :: View next topic  
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Getting Work in Germany: Tips & Things to Consider Reply with quote

If you wish to teach EFL in Germany, your first stop should be the most frequently accessed jobs boards. In addition to Dave's there is:

www.tefl.com
www.englishschoolwatch.org
www.eslteachersboard.com
www.huntesl.com

There are others. Search using Google by typing in "EFL Jobs Boards" or something similar.

CAVEAT: Despite the presence of websites, email addresses and online advertisements, many (if not most!!) employers will not reply to email inquiries. Why this is so has puzzled me for some time. It's rude, inconsiderate and counter-productive. Best to email a CV and follow up with a telephone call.

Your second stop should be www.gelbeseiten.de for the town/city in which you are interested. Type in the search box "Sprachschule(n)" and then type the town or city name. When you get the list, print it out and begin telephoning.

About jobs, salaries and so forth:

Once you get a positive response you must consider the pay. Will it be enough?

Language Schools (franchise AND private!) typically pay between 11 Euro and 17 Euro per teaching hour - normally a 45 minute hour. This is the GROSS pay. From this you must figure all your NECESSARY deductions such as health insurance (around 300-400 Euro per month), tax (from 20-35% - if you wish to work legally), pension contributions (@20%), rent (200-400 Euro per month, depending on where and how nice the flat is, etc.) and other associated expenses, food, transport, costs directly related to teaching (i.e. texts, photocopying, etc.). Whatever's left over...

In-company, direct freelance work can pay more - upwards of 25-35 Euro per hour. Again, this is GROSS and you must figure deductions. Additionally, there is the German VAT (MwSt) which you must consult a tax advisor about. This type of work is more difficult to acquire because one needs to have contacts, experience and qualifications - generally speaking. These jobs are usually only available to those already teaching in-country.

For more on expenses: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=10280&start=0&sid=0a6d7291057fd15d68fa7f91fcb8aa40

If you have a EU passport, the only legal requirement which must be met to live in the country is to register your domicile with the authorities and to obtain the identity document from the Ausl�nderbeh�rde called an Aufenthaltserlaubnis.

If you do not have a EU passport, you must (in addition to the above) obtain the permission to work in the country from the Arbeitsamt. This can be tricky and it's best to have an offer of an EMPLOYED position before you go. Consult your local German Consulate http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/index.html (online or by telephone) for the rules on this. These information sheets will also provide you with the information on getting a driving licence.

Some things I know that may help you.

www.tefl.com is, arguably, the largest online EFL/ESL jobs boards online. This is both a plus and a minus. The plus is that they have the most listings. The minus is that too many people apply for the available jobs and your application may get lost in the blizzard of applications. If you send in a CV and hear nothing back after a week or so, try to find a telephone contact for them and ring them up.

There are a number of employers who regularly advertise. Since I don't think I'm permitted to post the EFL scofflaws here by name, ask yourself WHY they advertise so much. The EFL business in Germany is NOT booming so the reasons for needing teachers so frequently are quite unlikely to be 'business is going gangbusters so we're adding more people'! Surf the jobs boards frequently and you'll begin to see which schools are advertising more frequently.

As Dave mentions in his sticky post in this forum, you should read ALL of the posts here http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/europe/sefer.cgi?Germany (and, IMO, before you apply for any jobs!). You'll get the teachers' side of the story on some of the schools in Germany, plus you'll get some additional information on what it's like to live and work in Germany. Additionally, there is quite a lot of good information in the threads in this forum. Read those first before posting your question(s) and you'll likely find someone has already answered your question.

If you still wish to work for one of those, possibly questionable schools, the fact that they are questionable should give you the ammunition you need to ask probing questions, get a signed contract or commitment of some sort. Don't allow your wish to teach in Germany to blind you to realities or, to take a job out of desperation. You'll only be sorry later.

Regarding pay:

If you're offered a REAL contract or, one of those so-called "freelance contracts" 1100 Euro net per month is about the same as 1700 Euro gross per month - and neither is enough to live on if you have dependents, debts in your home country or, if you wish to engage in a night-life oriented lifestyle. It's probably enough to live on if you're extremely frugal and you get yourself a flat for about 200 Euro per month withOUT excessive Nebenkosten or having to pay utilities.

BTW: "freelance contracts" are good for the company/school but not good for the teacher. You'll be bound to them, unable to work for anyone else to increase your income and you'll get no security and no guaranteed amount of teaching hours or any other benefits in return. My advice is to avoid those "freelance contracts" like the plague.

I'd like to mention that I believe people who post questions like, "How can I find a job in _____?" are unlikely to have the resourcefulness to make it teaching EFL in a foreign country. You'll be on your own once you leave your home country so it's best to demonstrate, to yourself, that you've got what it takes to help yourself in a new and strange environment. No one is likely to tell you that, "Hey, here's a job for you!" because it's a case of everyone here looking for work too. With the availability of Internet search engines, online jobs boards, phone books online and so forth, any enterprising, aspiring teacher has enough resources available to find their own jobs.
davidla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
I'd love to go back to Germany to live (I spent 7 years in Nuernberg - not as a teacher though).
It seems that Germany isn't a great place to find teaching jobs - the only thing that might help me (if I ever do go back) is that I know quite a few people there.
Thanks again
David
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: in your favour Reply with quote

The other thing that will help you is that you probably speak German quite well after seven years here. If you decide to come here as a teacher, try and do a TEFL first. With that and a degree, you'll have all the tools necessary to make the most successful search for work.

Cheers!
davidla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you know the answer to this, but...
is it possible to teach kids in Germany? I teach kids at a cram school in Taiwan (7-14 years old).
Oh, and I do have a TEFL. Smile
Thanks
David
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: teaching children Reply with quote

Yes, it is possible although certainly not common as it is in the Asian countries. I'm not sure how one would go about finding schools that do some catering to children's classes. As it is, I only know of one school in my area - of about a 50-75km radius. You're more likely to get adults since children in Germany begin studying English in school quite early. One option is doing Nachhilfe.
davidla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info.
David
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Canadian currently teaching English in Japan. I have been here two years, and I probably will be here at least another 2 years before I am ready to move back to Canada. However, I have been toying with the idea of living and working in Germany for a year before going back. I speak some basic German, am single, and intend to be out of debt and indeed, have some cash in the bank when I go. My goal is to improve my German skills and experience life in Germany. I have been following this message board on and off for the last few months, and I must say, the situation seems rather grim compared to Japan. However, I would still like to do it, as my ethnic background is German, and I really would like to 'finish' learning German. I speak more Japanese than I ever thought I would living in the environment, and I am sure it would do a wonder for my German skills.

My question is, what do you guys in here suggest would be the best way to go about getting a job when the time comes? When I am ready to go, should I just get on a plane and go to Germany and try and secure employment? Or, should I try to secure a job from Japan and then go? Or, perahaps I should do it from Canada? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Willy
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My goal is to improve my German skills and experience life in Germany.

Quote:
as my ethnic background is German, and I really would like to 'finish' learning German.

In view of your goals, I'd suggest university study in Germany rather than attempting to teach. The work situation here is not good, as you've already read and as you'll have a bit of cash, studying at a uni would improve your German far more than if you were teaching English. If you'll be living alone, teaching English when you're not alone ...well, German can be difficult to improve when you've not so much contact with German-speaking people.

If you are absolutely fixed on the idea of teaching English, whether you try to secure work from Japan, Canada or Germany depends on the amount of cash you'll have when you attempt this.
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering im 41, I think Ive had enough of University. I don't like the cost and wouldnt really benefit from a course or two. Id probably be better off just taking lessons really. I intend to have enough money when I go there that it is not important if I MAKE money, HOWEVER, I don't want to lose any either, and going to Uni certainly wont be cheap.

Willy
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the thread about worst pay in Germany. They are crying out for people who aren't relying on a decent wage.
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: be very careful where you get those "lessons"! Reply with quote

Quote:
Id probably be better off just taking lessons really.

If you elect to get those "lessons" at a language school, be sure you aren't getting someone who is only being paid 11 Euro per hour! They probably won't be staying there long and "one gets what one pays for"!

Native German speakers are typically very frank about not accepting low pay and, rightfully so. Professionals are educated to a very high standard in Germany and they expect to be paid what they're worth. Someone teaching German in a garden-variety language school for low pay...well, IMO, their ability is questionable and the quality you receive is also questionable. The VHS classes are typically very crowded and filled with various and sundry first-language speakers so you won't get a lot of speaking time and there will be a large focus on grammar instruction.

I've tried both routes so I know what I'm talking about.

Take your German courses at a Goethe-Institut - but expect to pay a bit more.

Quote:
I intend to have enough money when I go there that it is not important if I MAKE money, HOWEVER, I don't want to lose any either, and going to Uni certainly wont be cheap.

I get cheesed off about things like this. If you don't "need to make money" I, and all the other struggling professional teachers here, would appreciate it very much if you didn't take one of those low-paying jobs, encouraging schools to continue that abysmal practice of offering nothing and expecting everything!
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me qualify 'making money' then. I am living comfortable in Japan and managing to save about 1000 Canadian a month, so, I guess I meant I don't expect to bank that amount in Germany, considering what I have read.

I don't care if I can save a ton of money, but I don't expect working in Germany to cost me money at the same time.
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't care if I can save a ton of money, but I don't expect working in Germany to cost me money at the same time.

It probably will cost you money, at least for the first year or so. The first jobs prospective teachers need to take - without the contacts for better paying work - are usually very low paid. And, as has been said many times by more people than me in this forum: you can't live on it. So that means dipping into your savings to make ends meet.

Add to that there isn't much work here now and hasn't been for the last few years. Coupled with the low pay, a limited amount of work reduces what you can take home even more.

Just as an example, consider the recent post by Overcoat on the 10.50 Euro per hour job he was offered. If he was lucky, he might get about 20 hours per week of teaching work. Subtract rent, food, transportation, teaching-related expenses, health insurance, pension, taxes and what you have left is somewhere in the minus column. You do the math. Some figures are here http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=10280

If you're thinking that maybe you could get more than 20 hours work a week, don't count on it. Even if you could somehow achieve the near impossible and get more than 20 hours, I assume you'll be coming here without a car. Without a car, the amount of hours necessary to set aside for travel time precludes being physically able to take on more than 20 hours per week. Not to mention that you wouldn't be very well prepared for your classes; you simply wouldn't have the time to prepare.

Last edited by longtimeteach on Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly is unreasonable to pay such little for piecework and expect you to travel around on your own expense to get that.

I hope the situation improves when I wish to come. My step brother is living in Berlin and working for Berlitz. I assume he doesnt travel about like a salesman to do his lessons.

It sounds like people would be better off trying to get private students over doing something like that.

Regarding a car,.... I wouldnt probably have one. I don't have one here. In fact, one of the benefits of working in Japan is that transportation is paid by employers. It is pretty bad that teaching another internationally useful language such as English is considered to be menial McDonalds type work and indeed, seems to pay less than a job at McDonalds.

Maybe I should be trying to get a job in a restaurant instead?

Willy
kline

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: the 3 month visa for US citizens Reply with quote

1. I know I can stay in Germany for three out of every six months. If I find a freelance jobs, with individuals, does that mean I cannot get sponsered by an employer and thus not be able to stay longer than 3 out of six months?
2. Has anyone heard anything about the language school called GLS in Berlin?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: