Site Search:
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans teaching/Visa's/loop holes, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 11 Jul 2004
Posts: 33
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Americans teaching/Visa's/loop holes, etc. Reply with quote

I'm getting my CELTA in Seville in November and would ideally like to stay and get a job after the program is over. I realize that, as an American, I will probably have to work illegally. I was looking into different ways to get around this. One way, of course, would be to have a student visa. But you have to be accepted into a school and the visa lasts for as long as you are in the school. Well, I was wondering if a language school counts for this? One of the reasons I want to be in Spain in the first place is to learn Spanish. If I end up living and teaching there I will enroll myself in Spanish classes ANYWAY. . . . so is it possible to get a visa through these language schools? I'm guessing NOT - but I wanted to throw it out there to the people of this board to see if anyone has done it. Also, I'd love to be in cotact with some Americans out there who have managed to live and work in Spain. I have a miriad of questions. thanks in advance!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 81
Location: Barcelona, Spain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are really any loop-holes, but as long as the Spanish course meets the minimum requirements of hours per day and length of time, you should be able to get a student visa. I believe the criteria are that the course has to be about 4 hours a day and last at least 3 months, but you should contact the Spanish embassy or consulate nearest you to confirm that. Some certificate courses are held at language schools, so it may be possible to do both programs at the same school. Keep in mind that you will need to get the visa in your home country and that it will only be valid for the duration of the course. Student visas are usually processed faster than regular work/residence visas. It took about 9 months to process my work/residence visa! By the way, I am North American, too. I have been here for about 5 years now. I did about 2 years research (and dreaming) before coming over.

Buena suerte,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China