Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tawain teaching and visa requirements?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which provides the best quality of life Tawain, Korea, Japan, China, Vietnam, or Indonesia?
Taiwan
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Korea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Japan
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
China
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Vietnam
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Indonesia
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

pistonear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Tawain teaching and visa requirements? Reply with quote

Okay gang,
1. What do you need to teach in Taiwan?
2. What type of visa do I apply for?
3. Is photo copy of the degree enough?
4. Do I need to show transcripts?
5. Do I need to have the documentation notarized? Or will the embassy take care of that.
6. Do Taiwanese language schools pay for housing like Korea? If not what portion of salary should I devote to housing?
7. What is the weather like?
8. Should I have malaria shots or pills on hand? Any other shot recomendations?
9. What essential items should I bring?
10. Should SARS be a major concern?
11. What is the social or expaxt seen like in Taiwan?
12. Disco's, clubs and women?
13. Schools to avoid?
14. Areas to avoid?
15. Major differences between Taiwan and Korea?
Please base your poll responses on Income, Job satisfaction, Social scene, Environmental factors( such as cleanliness and liveability), Visa requirements, Tax concerns, and ease of entry and exit. Please keep in mind your respective situations and the factors that led you to choose your adopted country.
Thanks to all!
Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Taiwan Is What Taiwan Is. Reply with quote

You really only need a passport from a western country. So long as you look the part, you can do the job, in most places. I have known many high school drop outs, criminals, eastern Europeans and professional teachers with enough credentials to qualify an army. They all are teaching or have taught English here in Taiwan, many times working in the same school doing the same job. Often the lesser qualified, get paid better for a variety of reasons.
I would strongly recommend getting a 60 day multiple entry visa, with a five year validity. Usually these are only given to American business people. It not hard to be considered an American business person.
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=1090
The type and validity of your credentials really depends on where you want to work. Having credentials does not give you anymore guarantees or opportunities, than not having them.
I would strongly recommend you find your own place to live without any involvement of the school you work for. The more leverage a school has over you, the harder your job will be. With a few exceptions.
The weather is cold and rainy in the winter and hot and sticky in the summer.
Their has not been a certified case of Malaria in Taiwan for some time. You are better off getting vaccinated for Hepatitis which is wide spread.
Places to avoid are Chaiyi,
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?display:1040619366-5820.txt
and Taitung
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=336

Last edited by Aristotle on Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:42 am; edited 2 times in total
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be able to answer your questions better if you give more information about yourself.
Are you teaching in Korea now? What level of education do you have? Is anybody coming with you?
I suggest you go legal if you want to save more money and want to be able to open a bank account, etc. But if you don't have a Bachelor's, you may have to work illegally.
I can give you some more advice if you give more info, but here's what I can tell you now:
1. I would have a passport that will be valid for the next 6 months. Obviously you will need money, some recommend up to $1500 or 1500000 won and I would say even more so. Some say that you need a bank statement showing proof of these funds to show to TECO. Some also say that you will need proof of on-going travel. I came here without anything but that was due to unfortunate circumstances. I didn't need an ongoing ticket, a bank statement, transcripts, money, or anything but I recommend you bring all these things just in case. Or unless you're exceptionally lucky maybe you can try coming here without these things.
As far as your diploma, they will get someone to notarize that for you, you don't have to worry about it.
2. Go to TECO (Taipei Economic and Cultural Office) before you come to Taiwan. There is a TECO in almost every country. Bring all these things I stated in #1. I told them I wanted a job and didn't have to show them anything but please once again don't do it this way unless you have very good luck. Bring all your stuff I mentioned in #1 and tell them you just want to study Mandarin. Get a 2-month extendable visa. You will have to pay for it, I can't remember how much it costs.
3. I think a copy would be ok, that was all I needed, but if you have the original, bring it just in case.
4. Same as #3.
5. I think they will take care of it for you once you're in country.
6. They may in the smaller towns, but it may be crap and you may have roomates. Most people pay for their own place. Rents in Taipei are outrageous, smaller towns are cheaper. TAKE A CHINESE PERSON WITH YOU TO LOOK AT HOUSING. I did this and pay 7000 nt a month for a 7-room apt. in a major city while most other people I know are paying more than double that. Seriously, a Chinese person can help you with this.
7. HOT HOT HOT and you probably will be out of sorts for a few days if you grew up in a hot climate, and sick most of the time if you grew up in cold and that's what you're used to. Bring sunglasses and sunblock. You will also want AC in your apt.
8. No major shots are required, and I didn't get any. A Hepatitis vaccine wouldn't hurt just in case, but it's not a requirement.
9. Sunglasses, sunblock, all your diploma and paperwork stuff, money, everything else you can basically find here. They are much better than Korea in that area!
10. Taiwan's got it. Besides that I don't know what to tell you.
11. Ex-pats here are much more normal than in Korea. Although Taiwanese drink less than Koreans, the ex-pats here drink more (if that's possible!) I heard that drinking, bars and clubs here are some of the most expensive things here. A lot of people don't save money b/c they go out drinking a lot.
12. Oh wait I think I covered that in #11.
13. A lot of people would say Hess and Kojen. There is a Taiwan blacklist on another thread here, I suggest you search for it and avoid those schools.
14. Small towns unless you did the small town scene in Korea and loved it. There isn't much Western stuff available and it's more for the die-hards.
15. Taiwan is harder to get around, much more polluted and hot. The expats here are more normal than in Korea. (Hell I think the expats in Saudi would be more normal.) *l* More younger people and partiers though. I don't really know about the jobs, money, or other differences unless you ask specifically (I haven't been here that long.)
chi-chi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: