Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Profi-Lingua Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spatrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Profi-Lingua Questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have been offered a job at Profi-Lingua (actual location to be determined). I was wondering if anyone has good/bad reports about teaching at the school.

Also, I'm wondering about the pay. I noticed that one poster said to "make sure the school pays for the accomodation." Well, this job doesn't. It pays 60PLN minus tax for what looks to be 20-25 hours/week. Is this enough money to live on in a city -- excepting Warsaw?

One last thing: I'll be bringing my beloved cat with me to Poland. Do any of you think I'll have trouble finding an apartment that allows cats? The cat never leaves the apartment -- which fact she loves.

Thanks for any of your thoughts or suggestions.

Patrick
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: efl and cats Reply with quote

It was Argentina, then China and now Poland. The one constant is your cat. Rabies is endemic in Poland. You should check the regulations for returning to your domicile after spending some time in Poland. If you were headed for the UK, for example, your cat would have to spend a looooong time in quarantine - at your expense. Maybe it is different in the Land of the Free.
spatrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scot153,

Yes, as I get offers, I'm checking here to see where's the best place in the world to go. I've lost my job here in the US, so why not go?

The problem, of course, is the cat. She has lived with me in Hungary and in Turkey with no problems. She's used to this style of life: my job is to make sure she doesn't fall ill, or worse.

As to that, I'll check out the US law and also the rabbies sitution in Poland. As she doesn't go out, and certainly won't let any other cat/dog/bird in, I'd think she'd be safe. I may contact a vet to verify this notion.

Anyone else have suggestions or info? I'm especially concerned about the cat and the money.

Best,

Patrick
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Profi-Lingua & Cats Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

First of all, I've been living in Poland now for nearly 6 years, and I have never heard of a problem with rabies. Endemic? Hmmm.. Where did he hear that? Anyway, many of my friends have cats or dogs, and none have ever had a problem with rabies. As for finding an apartment that would accept them. I don't really think it would be much of a problem seeing that most Poles have at least one pet.. Usually a dog.

Secondly, I'm currently working for Profi-Lingua. In Sosnowiec. The students are wonderful, and the money is rather good. If you have 20-25 hours a week, you'll do fine.. The biggest problem is that you only get paid for the hours you work. So, for October, December, January and February, you'll have leaner months. As long as you can budget, you'll be fine, and will be able to save a bit once the weather turns nice.

Anyway, like I said, the students are really wonderful. They're motivated and enjoy learning English. Also, you will always be paired with a Polish English teacher. Most of the teachers here are in their 20's and 30's, so it's a rather young group, which I really enjoy. My co-teachers are incredible!

If you'd like more info on Profi, you're more than welcome to contact me by PM.

Good luck!

Chris
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: advert ? Reply with quote

Sounds like an advert for a school to me ! I thought those were outlawed.

And rabies is endemic in all of Europe, not just Poland. That does not mean that all cats have it, or even that it is widespread. It is there, that's all.

Personally if someone told me at an interview that their most important concern in life was the cat, no job would be forthcoming. If it were a dog, it might be a different story.
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: why pay tax? Reply with quote

60zl/hour is good,but my question is-why are you having to pay tax?Don't they still have a 2 year tax free period for foreigners in Poland?Also check out the kind of work visa they will get you on cos it can effect the rate you pay.There are all sorts of categories on the visas from,voluntary worker to artist etc etc....be careful and ask someone who is still there.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gees... I wish someone on here would get a life....

Anyway, how does my post sound like an ad for a job? That I would like to know.. I am just knowledgeable about Profi because this is my second year working there! And my 6th year in Poland! I think I have SOME knowledge....

Visas are now temporary residence cards and are the same regardless of why you are working in Poland now. ALL foreigners who work here must get a visa (D/2--formerly "W" I think) from their home country which lasts ONLY 3 months.. Then it can be extended for another 3--while you are in the process of getting your temp res card. The temp card is good for up to 2 years (mine was 1 1/2 yrs--don't know why). Trust me, it's not a fun process.. One of the reasons why I work at Profi is because they'll help me get it extended (I hope!!!). The university that I work at didn't help at all, and it was such a pain in the a**.

As for the taxes.. I don't know if there is still a 2 year tax free status. My first years were tax free, but that was back in 97-99. A LOT has changed since then. I think it's now only for those working at uni or other higher ed institute.

I live here, I work at the school in question, and I know what the situation is working here as an American. Please allow me some authority.

And again Patrick, if you'd like all the nitty-gritty--ie, how much tax is taken out, how much apts cost, cost of living, etc, just PM me..
Brooks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I worked at Wysza Szkola Pedagogiczna in 99-00 in Warszawa and I had to pay taxes.
When I was there I heard that the tax rate was 20%, up to 10,000 zl. and over that it went up to 40%. That is quite a disincentive for people to work.
No wonder the Czech Republic gets more foreign investment than Poland gets.

But if I could work at a university and not have to pay taxes, now that would be good. Obviously I would have to work at another job, like at a language school.
I am thinking about coming back, this time to Krakow.

And since I am American, I too wonder what will happen once Poland joins the EU. I can`t believe that only people with EU passports will be able to teach EFL because I doubt there will be enough Brits and Irish folk to do it.
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: tax Reply with quote

Oh yeah,I forgot...check out what your job title is on your contract and your company's tax forms both in English and Polish.I was hired as a 'cultural promoter' on one contract ,which meant that the tax my employer was deducting for me as a teacher was too much...this was all several years ago though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: