Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masters in Education programs, etc. in Italy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yossarian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Masters in Education programs, etc. in Italy? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just wondering if there are any longer term education programs (longer than the month long CELTA programs) in Italy for English speakers? I know that there are tons of abroad programs through american schools, but (I'll avoid a long explanation here) i'm not interested in them. I've been through them when I went to college. I already have a master's degree and teaching experience, but I'd like to get a degree that makes me more hireable in Europe once I'm finished (I'm non E.U.) and I would like to earn the degree while actually living in Italy. I'm currently living in Korea, where it's ridiculously easy to get a job, but I wouldn't call the teaching I do here genuine teaching, and basically, teaching is what I'd like to do long-term as a career.

I suppose I could sign up for any program that would allow me to stay in Italy for 2 years, but that's obviously a waste if it doesn't enable me to stay there longer or further my career. I might as well use the money (money i'll be saving up while here in Korea) to have a 2 year vacation. Wink

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Rhesus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considered a Phd?
Its 3 years but could be worth it if its a long term teaching position that you're after. I researched it myself and managed to find a University in Rome (I forget the name - I'll get back if I remember) that offers a course in History (my degree subject) and International Relations; they also spoke of a 1000E/month grant Shocked. So I assume there's more (although I do know that Rome is big on this particular academic subject)
If you're up for signing up to a program that will enable you to stay in Italy for more than 2 years, this could be your puppy.
yossarian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I've thought about a PhD.

rhesus wrote:
Quote:
they also spoke of a 1000E/month grant

hmm, yeah, I learned quickly from grad school, that (at least in arts/humanities programs) there's a lot of money offered to students to study, and it's not at all unreasonable to expect to go for free. Basically, I suspect it's cheaper and easier to 'hire' a grad student to teach undergrad classes and pay him/her with tuition and a small stipend than to hire a real teacher Wink My MFA enables me to teach at a university level in the states, but I'd rather have the qualifications to make me desireable in Europe, too. I've realized that I like travelling more than teaching fine art specifically. Very Happy (I know i'm making people's eyes roll at the fact that I went to grad school for fine art! Embarassed )

The decision to go to a certain school isn't contigent upon it being paid for, especially if the program taught me well, and as I said above, gave me a solid chance of being hired by something sustainable in Italy, (not just scrounging around as a bartender in campo di fiori! Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: