Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homosexuals in ELT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being a strait girl i hasn't noticed but mebbe it because this proffession atracts peeple which doesnt fit into "the norm" back home, whatever that may be. Meaning that many of us, for whatever reasons, are "minority"-type folks, and maybe we are just more comfortable than the average Joe/Jane would be living abroad.

OK, please have a go at my language.

I, too, have an MA from a top-rated program. And real good grammer skills to.

Oh, and on a more serious note, please also have a go at my theory--it's just something I pulled out of... well, never mind. It's just a thought.

d
Hondo 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for GEOS. The guy who ran the hiring session was gay. When I got to Japan, I replaced a gay teacher. The trainer in the area was gay too. All of these people were quite open about their sexuality.

Here's the interesting part, the teacher I replaced had been there for over seix months. Despite his over-the-top mannerisms, none of the students realised that he was gay until he told them at a "good-bye" party.

My hypothesis is that gay men feel comfortable in Japan because they are generally left alone.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Informal forum, huh? I see--you have two languages: English, and a yet-to-be-named "informal" language which is the keyboard version of grunts?

One problem with the make-up-your-own-language-as-you-go process, is that the aim of language, COMMUNICATION, is not achieved. In the case of this forum--where apparently some folks have nothing better to do when they're drinking than to start questionable threads--I have noticed that communication is infrequently the aim, and even less frequently achieved. Inadequate language skills may be one reason for that, and I am sure there are others.
PAULH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of such people are working on the JET program in Japan.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gay.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...

I was talking to my supervisor the other day.

It seems that everyone we've met from the British Council is gay - whether they are teaching in Japan, Thailand or Taiwan.

In fact, my CELTA instructors (most of them previously with the British Council) were gay.

Gay men are attracted to ELT, I guess - and the British Council!
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe before they took their "certification training" they were hairdressers?

Sorry--I find this speculation about folks' sexual orientations offensive. And another symptom of the level of unconsciousness of many folks who pass themselves off as teachers.
anthyp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, people mistake me for being gay far more often than I'd care to admit.

Not because of what I do for a living, though. Mainly due to my interest in cooking, cleaning, clothing, and related activities. Also because of my lackadaisical attitude towards finding myself a girlfriend.

I agree, this whole thread is just silly. But in comparison to many of the threads currently in this forum, rather harmless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Brian, and so is my wife.
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just remembered...

3 out of the 5 teachers at my school are gay.

Gay men may be over represented in ELT
Ludwig

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were not too many gays in Saudi when I was there. Mind you, such antics are punishable by flogging in the desert kingdom (which can often result in death) which, I suppose, may account for this fact.
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
Sorry--I find this speculation about folks' sexual orientations offensive. And another symptom of the level of unconsciousness of many folks who pass themselves off as teachers.

As someone chastised me in another thread, if you don't like the thread, just ignore it and move on...
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single men are overrepresented in EFL teaching for the simple reason the pay and conditions are generally lousy, and quite insufficient for bringing up a family.

So the question should be "Is there a higher proportion of homosexual men among single people teachng EFL than among single people in other professions".

Remember also that certain professions, such as builders labourer or US marine or Metropolitan policeman tend to have a greater proportion of closet homosexuals than other more "liberal" professions.
denise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
Informal forum, huh? I see--you have two languages: English, and a yet-to-be-named "informal" language which is the keyboard version of grunts?

One problem with the make-up-your-own-language-as-you-go process, is that the aim of language, COMMUNICATION, is not achieved. In the case of this forum--where apparently some folks have nothing better to do when they're drinking than to start questionable threads--I have noticed that communication is infrequently the aim, and even less frequently achieved. Inadequate language skills may be one reason for that, and I am sure there are others.

Seems like people are communicating quite well here, actually.

People created language--it wasn't the other way around. If a new medium for communication should happen to spring up (e.g., the internet), it is only natural for the rules of communication--even prescriptive grammar rules--to change.

Honestly, if you doubt the intelligence of so many of your fellow posters, then why do you bother? You're probably not going to change us by telling us that we lack communication skills.

d
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven wrote:
And another symptom of the level of unconsciousness of many folks who pass themselves off as teachers.

Actually, I do my best teaching when I'm unconscious.

This methodology is called TPR: temporary psychotic respite. It gives me a break before the next class.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: