Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL couples?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darlynebautista

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: ESL couples? Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I are seriously considering working together as ESL teachers in either Korea or Japan this coming summer of 2005. From the advice of my friend (who worked in Korea), I found out that it is not all impossible for this to happen. But, our case, however, is a little unique.

To make a really long story short.. my boyfriend and I met as travellers in the Philippines over a year ago. He is American and I am Canadian. Right now, we hold a long distance relationship.

My boyfriend has two 2-year associates degrees, is enrolled to gain his TESOL from a certified college this february, volunteers as an ESL tutor, and is studying japanese. If I may say so (without sounding corny..hehe), he's a great guy - open minded, fun loving, and caring. So, I know he has alot to offer as an ESL teacher.

I, on the other hand, will graduate from university with a Bachelors degree this coming April. I have worked with various immigrant and refugee organisations (locally and abroad), worked as an assistant early childhood educator at a daycare, and am volunteering as a language partner to international students at the university.

Now considering our differing qualifications and citizenship (and if race should play an issue I must add that he is caucasian and i am asian), I would like to know the likelihood of ..

1- us gaining a position as a couple at the same company or school
2- us applying independently of each other but ending up together in the same company or school
3- us applying independently of each other and ending up in the same city (being able to live with or near each other)

Confused Question We're at a loss at what to do or where to begin! Question Confused

If anyone could kindly lead us in the right direction (with websites, companies that allow for couples to apply, advice and/or information) - we would really really appreciate it.

Thanks so so much!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is deffinately possible to work at the same place. Almost everyone I know who is doing the esl thing is going with a husband, wife, boyfriend or even in groups of three. My wife and I along with her sister taught in china for 6 months together and when I recruited the new teachers I hired 2 sisters and a boyfriend to one of them. Maybe you should mention on your cover letter what it is you are trying to do and they should expect your boyfriends resume as well...It worked for us! Good luck.
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL couples? Reply with quote

darlynebautista wrote:
My boyfriend has two 2-year associates degrees, is enrolled to gain his TESOL from a certified college this february, volunteers as an ESL tutor, and is studying japanese.

I will graduate from university with a Bachelors degree this coming April. worked as an assistant early childhood educator at a daycare, and am volunteering as a language partner to international students at the university.

I would like to know the likelihood of ..

1- us gaining a position as a couple at the same company or school
2- us applying independently of each other but ending up together in the same company or school
3- us applying independently of each other and ending up in the [b]same city [/b

If Japanese immigration accept your b/f's two 2-year associates degrees as acceptable to meet their full 3 or 4 yr BA criteria then apply to a big Eikaiwa (English Conversation School) chain together. Aeon and Nova give you a choice as to where you'll go. Aeon places people in single apartments (Nova with same sex flatmates and charges more rent).
Be honest and tell them at application you wish to work in the same city.

You can get more info on the big chains (Aeon, Geos, Nova, ECC) using the search facility here.

This is, however, all dependent on immigration deciding that he meets the academic standard needed for the visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: