Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry for the dumb question, but...dress code as a teacher?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCNorBust

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Sorry for the dumb question, but...dress code as a teacher? Reply with quote

Hey All -

Before I head to Madrid to take a TEFL course, I was wondering if you could offer your insights into the dress code for teachers in Madrid. I know in NYC, teaching in a pair of nice khakis or black trousers and a button-down are fine, but is it the same in Spain? Should I be dressing more corporate? or can you teach in jeans? I realize the school/company dress code may vary, but on the whole, what would you deem appropriate and inappropriate attire? I'm female, by the way.

Thanks.
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry for the dumb question, but...dress code as a teach Reply with quote

BCNorBust wrote:
Hey All -

Before I head to Madrid to take a TEFL course, I was wondering if you could offer your insights into the dress code for teachers in Madrid. I know in NYC, teaching in a pair of nice khakis or black trousers and a button-down are fine, but is it the same in Spain? Should I be dressing more corporate? or can you teach in jeans? I realize the school/company dress code may vary, but on the whole, what would you deem appropriate and inappropriate attire? I'm female, by the way.

Thanks.

hi,

Based on my experience, it should be the same in Spain. Of course, it's different if you are teaching Business English.

But if you're teaching children, or regular classes at a language school, a pair of nice khakis and a nice shirt are OK.

I would be interested in knowing what others have to say about this. I always say it's better to be dressed too well for the job rather than not well enough
Moore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like he said, you�ll never look silly if you�re a bit over smart the first few times, but you don�t want to be the only under-dressed one: In company classes (common here) collared shirt and smart trousers and shoes (for a man).
I have seen all sorts of silliness here I never saw anywhere else: one school I had an interview at had a notice to teachers telling them to "try to avoid" wearing flip-flops in companies.... Asia is a lot more formal. The Spanish do dress very well in companies though and consider their English colleagues rather scruffy.
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, too right!

That's amazing, I could never imagine anyone wearing flip-flops and teaching English! But it exists apparently!

It's true, most Spaniards do dress quite well at work. And of course, scruffy looking English teachers don't make a good impression.

If you're thinking of dressing down and teaching English in Spain, don't do it! First of all, you'll look like a tosser. Second, you'll ruin the reputation of other teachers.

This is just one of the reasons why pay is abysmally low in some schools...and also why standards are low.

In short, backpackers need not apply! (though I am aware this statement will do little or nothing to change the situation, one has to do his part) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: