Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese Language books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LHanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Chinese Language books Reply with quote

I am going to China to teach soon. I would like to know if anybody could recommend a good Chinese/English dictionary and any series of Madarin Language books that would be useful to me. There are so many, it is hard to know which one to purchase.

Thanks
L Hanks
Paul G

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good dictionary is The Concise Chinese - English, English -Chinese Dictionary, Oxford University Press. ISBN 0 19 591151 2.

Check out the language books by Cheng & Tsui Company. (C&T Asian Language Series). www.cheng-tsui.com . I used their books in a Chinese class and liked them because they teach the Chinese characters along with the PinYin. They also put out good workbooks that go with the textbooks so you can practice writing the Chinese characters.
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ditto on Paul's choice. Chen&Tsui Integrated Chinese is excellent for a serious student. Also buy the tapes. Characters are important, and they teach characters. You might also want to pick up a small handbook on common phrases to help you ask, "How much is it", but don't use these to learn Chinese.
If you can find a book of Chines Proverbs, snag it. It was a blessing when at a local market in China I found some excellent ones. Proverbs are a key part of Chinese. An excellent book with tape that focuses on oral is Kan Qian's "Colloquial Chinese", which is one of the Routledge Publishing company's series on learning languages that can be foun in most bookstores, I think.
Whatevertime you can invest on learning before you come will be an excellent investment, and show the students and local people you respect their country and them.

Chris in Henan, the heart of China!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: