Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA important for hire??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: CELTA important for hire?? Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm just wondering if the CELTA certificate is the number one thing a foreign employer would look for from an applicant. I'm needing to be in Brazil by the end of July, but looking up the CELTA programs nothing seems to correspond with my timing. I have looked at an online TEFL certification, wondering if that would be adequate for teaching English in Recife or Brazil in General? Any advice and tips would be welcomed. Thanks.
brasilstu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what kind of job you're after. If you are going to work for one of the small private language schools and/or teach privately (which is the majority of esl employement in Brazil) then very few school will ask for a CELTA.

If you have no experience then a teaching qualification will help you get a job in some of the better schools, and make your life easier for the first few months.

The most important skill in Brazil is your personality, if you can't keep your students happy the you won't retain your classes and therefore your job.

I hope it works out for you, it's a tough place to start out. If you got an other questions pm me.
portochuck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

[quote="brasilstu"]Depends what kind of job you're after. If you are going to work for one of the small private language schools and/or teach privately (which is the majority of esl employement in Brazil) then very few school will ask for a CELTA. quote]

Ive never had any schools ask for anything.....Well...they ask "Are you an American?"

Thats it....

Good luck...
PKB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they ask "Are you an American?"

Is that bad? Because of the six month Visa restriction?
portochuck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: no.. Reply with quote

No its not bad......They love Americans.....even if your only staying a short time..it helps them feel more like a real English School....They us that to help get students...."We have an American working here.."
sheena maclean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g
Quote:
They love Americans

Is it only Americans they love or is it just native speakers in general for example I�m from the UK?
also I notice that the pay is around15 reals an hour. When I convert that into Colombian pesos it's alot less than I was getting paid there and that wasn�t that great in Bogota so I can imagine rio/SP are much more expensive so how is the life there?
thanks Sheena
portochuck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK..they love native speakers...Sorry....In Rio and SP I think they do pay more...My brother lives in Rio and he was offered R$15 per hour....but in POA...they pay less....around R$10 per hour...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: