Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does this Sound Average?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jojo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Does this Sound Average? Reply with quote

Hi

I wanted to know if anyone has worked in Tainan County. I have been offered 25hr a week guaranteed at 400NT/hour Net Pay. This is a small town I will be in and the rent is quite cheap.

It sounds low to me so I was wondering if anyone has worked in this area and if this sounds like an average pay. Can anyone tell me the rent situation in the area? The area I would be in is in Madou/ShinYing City.

Thanks in advance
Jojo
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is way too low. It only works out to NT$40,000 per month. NT$500/hour is and absolute minimum that anybody should take and I would still ask for something above that. Even if the rent is cheap don't let them use that as a reason to underpay you so much.

Are you in Tainan now? If so either ask for more money or look elsewhere. If you are not in Taiwan yet don't commit to anything before you get here.
Jojo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response TBoy but, I am not in Taiwan at the moment.
I have a friend who told me about this job because he works for the same agent. Who I guess is reliable yet the pay sounds soo low.
Does anyone know of any good schools in Tainan? Is the cost of living in Tainan lower than bigger cities like Taipei?

Confused
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jojo,

You would do well to avoid recruiting agents. This is reinforced by a number of other posts on this board. The job you are talking about probably pays a salary of NT$50-60k, but the teacher ends up getting NT$40k after the recruiting agent takes his/her cut. If you find a job on your own then the school doesn't have to worry about paying a recruiting agent and can pay you more money.

taiwan boy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: