Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My quest for Romanian citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:
You just don't get it, naturegirl.

When you had the VERY FIRST thought about obtaining Romanian citizenship (well before you started this diary), you already knew that your mother was born there. Why didn't you ask the authorities in Romania AT THAT VERY MOMENT what you would need? You might have gotten enough information so that you would KNOW that your mother still had the possibility of holding citizenship... instead of waiting for that little piece of info to fall into your lap accidentally.

NO, you just don't get it.

I did ask them at that very moment what I needed. She still holds citizenship. YOu guys are talking about things that you don't know about.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Romanian citizenship. Reply with quote

Bebsi wrote:
You then come waltzing in and announce that you have just found out that your mother was still a Romanian citizen. if you knew all along that your mother HAD BEEN BORN in Romania (forget her citizenship for the moment, here), why didn't you make raising this with the Romanian authorities your very first action? They would have informed you that she was still a citizen; more pertinently, they would have informed you that this fact would in itself render you eligible for citizenship.
In simple terms, here, you omitted to tell them something very important when you first started your enquiries about citizenship. Why? How could you not think it was highly relevant, that your mother had been born there? This has nothing to do whatsoever with what you THOUGHT her citizenship was or what her name was. Is it that you omitted something really important through your negligence, and are now trying to cover your embarrassment?

Sigh, I feel like I'm repeating myself. I did raise the born in ROmania question, showed the passport from Romanian. However, since it was issued over 40 years ago, and my mom changed her name, and got married. She has to register all these things. They told me that she and I are citizenship, but before I can get the passport, reigstries need to be made. And Bebsi, if you live there, you should know these things.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Open season on Naturegirl? Reply with quote

What a fuss about what NG should and shouldn't have done. For what it's worth, I take my hat off to her for making the effort to get that elusive second passport.
I find it ironic that people should bitch about someone who's simply trying to improve her life. Give the lady a break.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Good grief! Reply with quote

Oh no, the censor objected to the word b i t c h! Whatever next?
Bebsi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: NG's Romanian Saga Reply with quote

Be careful, GrahamB,

If you keep takling your hats off like that you may find yourself without decent headgear. Me? I like a nice Panama for the Gulf and a black fedora is good in Bucharest.

NG, yes I live here in Romania but I do NOT encounter the levels of inefficiency which you seem to, and which would render your story more explicable (if no less illogical). Of course, there is the other possibility, which I would discount immediately in this case, namely that you are not approaching this thing correctly and that maybe in some way you piqued them (Heaven forbid that such a scenario could even be remotely imagined).

On Oct. 30 2004, you announced here that you had "just found out that (my) mother is a Romanian citizen". Fair enough! However, I recall this whole thing going on under a different thread at least as far back as the summer of 2003 when NG, you claimed to want to get Romanian citizenship. If you had mentioned your mother's birth in Romania to the authorities at that point, would they not have surely said something along the lines of "What? Your mother was born here? Oh, that means that she is still a citizen as we don't cancel it even when you become a citizen of another country".

In other words, how come you discovered something vitally important over a year after you should have, when simple enquiry of the most cursory nature would have revealed the reality to you? When you first decided you wanted to become a Romanian citizen, why didn't you simply say to the authorities then "MY MOTHER WAS BORN IN ROMANIA."

They would surely have said "OH, IF SHE WAS, THAT MAKES HER A CITIZEN, AND ONCE YOU GET THE PAPERWORK SORTED OUT, YOU CAN BECOME ONE TOO!!"

In other words, let me ask a series of Questions, that will hopefully clear up the confusion here:

1. When exactly did you first decide to look for Romanian citizenship?

2. Did you mention the fact of your mum's Romanian BIRTH to the Romanian authorities AT THAT TIME?

3. If you did, what did they say? Why did they not tell you at that point that she was still a citizen, in WHICH case you would be eligible for citizenship.

4. If they HAD told you this at that point, why did you announce it as a surprise in October 2004 that you had just found out she was a citizen. If you answer those four questions individually, clearly and concisely, then we may get a step closer to solving this riddle.

Christ, I feel like Colombo or Hercule Poirot in a very difficult murder mystery!!!! Anyone there got a Mac I could borrow, or a pipe and hat, so I can reflect, Mesieurs et Mesdames, with my leeeetle grey cells, upon zis deep meeeestery?

I think I need a holiday. Oh, hang on, I'm ON ONE....!!!! Now it's getting serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously NG, I have a further suggestion that may solve a lot of probs for you: My Romanian fiancee wants to know if you will do a swap? She says she will give you her Romanian passport in exchange for your US one. Would you be interested? Hers is valid for 4 years and eight months, but is eminently renewable. Are you interested? Let me know and we can set something up.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebsi,

Have you already asked your fiancee if her mother might possibly have American citizenship? It's worth a shot.

Laughing
Bebsi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Ho-hum Reply with quote

Reeeallllyyyyyy? That's interesting. Her parents were both born in the USA, could she use that to get citizenship, do you think? She went to teh US immigration authorities bt didn't mention that as she didn't think it would be relevant.

Still, the paperwork would be an awful hassle! If NG could do the swap it'd be really great.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started looking for citizenship in October and yes, I did mention my mom's Romanian birth to the authorities at the time. They said, for the 00th time, that YES she is a citizen. But if she and I want p�ssport, we have to do the paperwork.

I was surprised, because my mom had had contact with Romanian authoriteis since she was a child. THe US sauthorities told her that she was only a USA citizen and she believed them. THey told her that when she was nine, the rules have changed since then. Also, my mom never wanted anyting to do with romania, due to the circumstances that made her leave. NOw, she has changed her mind.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Ordinal numbers. Reply with quote

Headgear back on, Bebsi.
Are you on the square, by any chance? I ask because you're giving NG the third degree. You can, of course, take the fifth!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ordinal numbers. Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Headgear back on, Bebsi.
Are you on the square, by any chance? I ask because you're giving NG the third degree. You can, of course, take the fifth!

Can I plead the fifth? I keep on getting asked the same questions and they wonder why I'm getting frustrated.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Pleading the fifth. Reply with quote

By all means, NG! I commend you on the restraint you've shown. I wish I was as patient.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Romanian Citizenship Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying. I just thought I'd tease you a little bit and let you think I had gone away. Very Happy

Quote:
I ask because you're giving NG the third degree. You can, of course, take the fifth!

This would appear to be some American reference code, but as some people here are not American, including myself, I will try to decipher. I presume you mean the Fifth Amendment? But third degree? Are we talking about third degree burns? Third degree homicide? Please elaborate, GB!

NG, you have finally managed to answer my questions. OK, you mentioned it to the authorities when you started your application. However, I was rather confused by two things: You announced in Oct 2004 that your mum was Romanian. I gathered that what you had meant was that you had discovered that she was a Romanian CITIZEN, but from your writings, I had got the distinct impression that you had been enquiring about citizenship with the authorities for some considerable time previously. I mean, if you had been enquiring for a long time before, it would have made sense to have mentioned the fact of her BIRTH to them. But if you hadn't.....!!

The second cause of my confusion is that I recall from 2003 that you were interested in acquiring Romanian citizenship. It struck me when you mentioned your mum's birth, that you would have gone to the authorities with that fact...long before you did...to enquire about whether that would be of some benefit.

Perhaps I am being too obtuse for you here? I will not trouble you any longer with queries about your quest for Romanian citizenship. I will leave you to it.

GB, you commented on her restraint. WHAT RESTRAINT? What might she have done? Slagged me back? I hate to surprise you with this one, but that was...er, well....how do I say this? *SHY SMILE* Well, I was kinda hoping that she would do exactly that instead of stamp her foot in impatient indignation. We enter this forum to be entertained, and a small bit of slagging, repartee, verbal duelling, urinary extraction and general banter and light-hearted humour is what most of us have come to expect. OK, maybe I can be merciless at times but c'mon, where's that fighting spirit?

Anyway, NG, rest in the knowledge that I will not slag you about this matter again. Rolling Eyes

Instead, I will find something else to slag you about!!!! Twisted Evil

Oh, Graham, she IS SOOOOOOO lucky to have a knight in shining armour (what must it weigh?) to rush to her defence, albeit at the last minute. And really, I wouldn't take off my headgear when wearing armour because that might leave you vulnerable, and your head exposed. It must be said, "I take my hat off to her" has more of a ring to it than " I take off my plumed, steel visor to her"!!

On a more serious note NG, I certainly didn't mean you any harm or ill-will whatsoever. *Extended hand*

I doubt if there is much advice I can offer regarding Romania, as you seem to be dealing with this place longer than I have. I agree that the bureaucracy here can be infuriating Evil or Very Mad There is an official intransigence that sometimes makes one wonder how far the authorities have come in their thinking since the dreadful days of Communism.

That being said, I am wide open to all discussion and any questions concerning the place, and will happily give my opinions and impressions on any matter.

Now, I am definitely off for that holiday within a holiday!!!!
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Code Reply with quote

Bebsi, the third degree is a masonic ritual. The question "Are you on the square?" means "Are you a freemason?"
Re the fighting spirit, I'll happily argue and bicker until the cows come home, but NG's not into that, as you've probably noticed.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Oops! Reply with quote

I forgot to add that "giving someone the third degree" means to question or interrogate someone.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: 3rd Degree Reply with quote

Does that mean a poker up in a place that hurts?????? Shocked

Yes, it has occurred to me that NG is not a verbal duellist!!!!!

Have I seen you GB in the KSA forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: