Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New York Teaching Fellows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: New York Teaching Fellows Reply with quote

hi.
Has anyone heard of this program?
I was interested because in the website people can get over $9,000 for college and get certification paid for and get paid a teachers salary.
It means working at a New York city public school.
At some point I will return to the US so I have been thinking about this program.

But I was wondering if funding will be cut or not.
Does anyone know?

Brooks
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Well,If You Want to Teach in a Public School in New York... Reply with quote

Frankly,I could not tell you if funding will be cut.Could be.Mr.Bush is going to have to pay for that little adventure in Iraq SOME way.Consequently, a lot of things might get cut.Education...well ,what the hell,let's cut it...you know what I mean? Rolling Eyes

In all probability, the program you saw on the NET is legit.You would probably be teaching in an inner city school.Good Lord!That is your business, of course.If you do it, better pack your Ouzi or Kalishnikov.
Lynn

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the funding will be cut. The program won't pay for your masters degree entirely, but assist. It's true that you will only be sent to the schools that received the lowest score on a test. So, some areas of the Bronx, East Brooklyn, East Harlem in Manhattan and nothing in Queens and Staten Island because none of those schools scored low enough.

My friend went to an interveiw and she didn't say she was a teacher, rather an instructor, because they are really looking for fresh people who don't have a bias towards teaching and education.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: So,They Are Looking for "Fresh" People,Eh? Reply with quote

Ones that don't have a "bias' towards education? Sounds like they are looking for NAIVE people to me! Of course,it is your business,not mine,if you decide to teach at one of those inner city schools. I would not risk my life teaching in any of those places Lynn mentioned. No, I have never taught in those places(Thank God!)...but I have been THROUGH them.SEEING them was enough. Rolling Eyes
Anne Stevens

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New York Teaching Fellows Reply with quote

Yes, I have heard about the program. In deed, I applied for it. There are quite a few great certification programs now.
Please contact me privately, if you need more info.

Sincerely,

Anne Stevens
[email protected]

Brooks wrote:
hi.
Has anyone heard of this program?
I was interested because in the website people can get over $9,000 for college and get certification paid for and get paid a teachers salary.
It means working at a New York city public school.
At some point I will return to the US so I have been thinking about this program.

But I was wondering if funding will be cut or not.
Does anyone know?

Brooks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: So,They Are Looking for "Fresh" People,Eh? Reply with quote

bnix wrote:
Of course,it is your business,not mine,if you decide to teach at one of those inner city schools. I would not risk my life teaching in any of those places Lynn mentioned. No, I have never taught in those places(Thank God!)...but I have been THROUGH them.SEEING them was enough. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Fat Chris,
Would you care to elaborate? Since the late Bnix is, sadly, no longer, I would be only too happy to stand in in any forthcoming barnie. But not having been a teacher in the Apple, I'm not sure what your gist is.

Are you implying that teaching in New York and the boroughs is not as bad as some people make it out to be? Was Bnix watching too much TV?
Yrs
Khmerhit
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khmerhit wrote:
Dear Fat Chris,
Would you care to elaborate? Since the late Bnix is, sadly, no longer, I would be only too happy to stand in in any forthcoming barnie. But not having been a teacher in the Apple, I'm not sure what your gist is.

Are you implying that teaching in New York and the boroughs is not as bad as some people make it out to be? Was Bnix watching too much TV?
Yrs
Khmerhit

khmerhit,

I myself can't really elaborate but I rolled my eyes because the late bnix himself didn't really seem to know either. The comment about packing a Kalashnikov and Uzi (which he didn't even spell right--the way he spelled it, I thought he was mentioning Greek liquor) was a bit sensationalist. Sure, inner city schools can be rough, but immediately, I'd be more concerned about finding a decent apartment at a somewhat reasonable price (read: impossible) than security in an inner city school.

My take on it is that tough schools need tough teachers. If one can't handle the heat, then one shouldn't go into the kitchen. My perspective is that teaching in a NYC public school would be the most challenging yet most rewarding job ever--surely would beat being a human tape recorder in Japan or teaching Chinese children how to sing "Jingle Bells" and answering the question "can you use chopsticks?" 700 times.

Regards,
fat_c
Lynn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Chris. As you know, I lived in New York City for 3 years. In the summer I worked at the Fresh Ari Fund camps. Disadvantages(poor and coming from the previously mentioned areas) inner city boys, ages 9-12. Every session there were a few kids obviously older than 12, but we let it slide.

I had worked with children in Japan and Korea, so I thought it would be a breeze. Well, NYC boys are different than Jpes/Krn boys. But at the same time, children are children and teaching is teaching. At times, I just wanted to explode and at other times, I was thoroughly offended by what some boys said. Evil or Very Mad Yet, there was always the flip side. The boys who I wanted to take home with me and adopt. Razz

I knew I wasn't going to be in New York for more than 3 years, so I never did the teaching fellows program. You really have to commit longer than that. I really hope you go for it, Chris.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: