Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The DRC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: My thread�s bigger than yours... Reply with quote

You don�t need a degree in psychology to see that this guy has a kingsize inferiority complex. Look at what he�s said throughout this thread. Behind the verbal aggression and bluster (I�m going to the Congo, I�ve got more degrees than you, this is the longest thread on the Africa forum, etc), there�s a very insecure human being. His urge to insult those who dare to contradict him reflects this. Arguing with him is pointless and merely fuels his attention-seeking behaviour. Ignore him. He�ll get bored and go away.

Africa Expert, do you have any experience of Libya? TEFL jobs there seem to be few and far between.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: My thread�s bigger than yours... Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Dat�s da turd time he�s insulted me. Reply with quote

"But the internet in general is pretty sparse of information on western Africa."

I�ve just done a Google search using the words "Western Africa." It took 0.53 seconds and found 1,550,000 results. I repeated the exercise with the words "West Africa," which took 0.37 seconds and found 703,000 results.
If you put your mind to it, I�m sure you�d find something of value there.
In my posting of 19 May, I suggested you look at the oneworld.net website. I repeat that recommendation, and also suggest you look at the UN website, un.org.
The fact that information about TEFL in the DRC is somewhat sparse on this forum reflects the scarcity of teaching opportunities there.
Must fly; da udder turds are waitin� for me.
Graham.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dat�s da turd time he�s insulted me. Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Useful information Reply with quote

I didn�t say that all of it would be useful; My exact words were, "I�m sure you�d find something of value."
Set some time aside, sit down with a cup of coffee (or whatever), and search. Refine your search until something relevant comes up. Websites such as the UN and oneworld have useful links. The information you`re looking for won�t come to you on a plate - you�ve got to hunt for it.
You could also try peacecorps.gov and vso.org.uk
teaching-abroad.co.uk/index.htm offers placements, but be prepared to pay more than $2000.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason--I don't know anything about Africa, so you will find nothing useful here. I do know about people, and you have a lot of problems. First read a little about Conrad before you decide he was a mama's boy:

Conrad, whose original name was Teodor J�zef Konrad Korzeniowski, was born near Berdychev, Poland (now in Ukraine), the son of a Polish noble. From his father the boy acquired a love of literature, including romantic tales of the sea. He was orphaned at the age of 12, and when he was 16 years old he left Russian-occupied Poland and made his way to Marseille, France. For the next four years he worked on French ships, ran guns for the Carlist pretender to the Spanish throne, and became involved in a love affair that brought him to the brink of suicide. He then entered the British merchant service, becoming a master mariner and a naturalized British subject in 1886; a few years later he changed his name to sound more English. For the next decade he traveled widely, mostly in eastern waters. Conrad's experiences, especially in the Malay Archipelago and on the Congo River in 1890, are reflected in his writing, which was done in English, his third language (after Polish and French). Conrad published his first novel and married Jessie George in 1895.
Conrad produced 13 novels, two volumes of memoirs, and 28 short stories, although writing was not easy or painless for him. Perhaps only another writer can fully appreciate his comment regarding the completion of the novel Nostromo (1904), which many critics regard as his masterpiece: "an achievement upon which my friends may congratulate me as upon recovery from a dangerous illness." In addition to the strain of writing, he endured suffering caused by gout, as well as his wife's crippling illness, and the meager income he received from his work.

"Conrad, Joseph," Microsoft� Encarta� Encyclopedia 2000. � 1993-1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Having read your posts, I will venture to say that you live in a world of fantasy: you can't be a law student, your writing does not rise to that level and you claim to be in taiwan. I doubt that you have an honors degree in anything, certainly not in english, your writing is not polished at all. Then you are trying to come across as Rambo or XXX and at the same time you claim to be this master of english soon to be an adornment to the legal profession, plus you have taught and travelled everywhere. It does not add up. Please post your resume so I can try to understand how you did all this.

I only want to know one thing: if your life is so empty that you even get pleasure out of counting responses in a forum of people that revile you, why don't you run, not walk, to the DRC and let the folks over there put you out of your misery. And if you want to look for someone to hate, please check out the nearest mirror ASAP.

Other than that you seem to be a nice person and if you ever plan to visit panama, e-mail me and I'll buy you a cerveza.
Your amigo in Panama
Africaexpert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason: If this boosts your self-esteem, I'm adding yet another response to this post. If you would like to get more info on Congo, here's a board that may offer some more insights. I cannot guarantee that these insights will be any more to your liking than what you have already deemed inadequate.
Lonely Planet Online: Thorntree forum - Africa

No I have not taught in Libya, but there are some jobs, usually for men only, teaching the military and oil company employees. I heard of these jobs in Rome. Was a little worried when I learned that my passport would be confiscated until I completed the term of my contract, and that although pay was in foreign currency, expenses were so high that it wouldn't be worth my while. Since I am a US citizen and the US has only bad relations with the Libyan government, I thought it better not to pursue these jobs.
Libyans are lovely people and good English students, and apparently the beaches are wonderful there, everybody except Khaddafi wants to build resorts and encourage foreign visitors. Alcohol is forbidden in Libya, but the number one alltime best seller in Malta, a common Libyan vacation spot, is brew-your-own beer kits. One of my Moroccan students, an owner of an airplane maintenance business, was "bought out" or bribed by the US government to stop servicing Libyan airplanes. In return for canceling a lucrative portion of his business, he was given free tuition at a top-ten business school for his MBA. That's the American way.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
RachelA_Broad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: travel in Africa Reply with quote

Ok, I'm sorry to report that I have not been to DRC. I studied abroad in Kenya which, clearly is a completely different place. The point of this, though is to ask if you have ever traveled in any part of Africa. When I went to Africa (through study abroad and independant study) I wanted to go somewhere much less traveled by "regular" people because I wanted to see the "real" Africa, not some theme ride of a country that was the "safe" way out....but there were no programs that fit my course study. The thing I found was that Kenya, though not the deadliest of countries, posed PLENTY challenges to me and I traveled extensively in western Kenya to locations where some of the people had literally never seen a white person before.
I guess my wonder is, what draws you to the Congo? Are you just looking for bragging rights to be able to say that you went somewhere "dangerous". If you haven't been anywhere in Africa, I suggest starting in a different country...not just because its safer but because, the people there might need you just as much and truely have the ability to focus on something like you and English rather than fleeing their country.

I'm sorry to be "that person". I had tons of people tell me that I would "die" if I went to Kenya or come back with AIDS but in this case, with the news and the situation the way it seems to be, I would say these posts urging you to not go are not just over-protective mothering. If you must go, maybe go to a country that borders it and start talking to locals about the climate next door. If it seems safe from there, by all means go, and let me know what you see once you are there. Maybe that is the best happy medium.
Good luck
The Darn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread dead yet? I'll respond anyway.

I recently met a guy that had just returned from a tour of duty working for the UN in various cities in the DRC. When I queried him about what it was like he responded by saying that it was "a horrible f---ing place." He then went on to complain about getting shot at by machine-gun weilding 13 year olds. He said there is no infrastructure to the point that if you want to go between cities, you must fly because there simply aren't any roads. He told stories of gruesome massacres and a complete lack of security, things like tribesman and militias killing each other and eating their victims remains for pure intimidation and the supposed spiritual protection one gains from such acts. He said that the situation there is completely f---ed up, and extremely complicated. There are something like 5 different factions all vying for power. They don't really discriminate between men, women, and children in the fighting- everyone is an accepted target.

A while later another guy asked the UN worker what the women were like in the Congo. This line of questioning ran closer to his interests than mine had, and he replied with a broad smile. "Like this!" he said, knocking with his knuckles on the wood of the bar we were drinking at. "Hard!" he continued. He went on to describe that they were very tall, and women over 6' tall were not uncommon. He said they were beautiful as well, and he damn near gushed about how good their bodies were. He said the nightlife and discos were good, and the dresses most of the women wore were quite small and tight, and "would fit crumpled up in a soda can with room to spare." At the end of the conversation about the women he said he was scared to get a blood test.

So, while I haven't been to the DRC, that's what some guy I met told me about it. I think the conversation happened back in June. I have used quotes in places because those sentences stuck in my memory, and I can remember exactly what he said.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: AFRICA Reply with quote

The reality with DRC, as with most of Africa is that it has descended into barbarism. This was just what the old colonialists warned ! At the time I thought they were a bunch of hopeless old reactionaries. Now............................... I am a hopeless old recationary myself !

Whatever Black Africa needs, it is not well-meaning would-be English teachers. Another Cecil Rhodes would be more like it !

Jason Seeburn, can you take on that task ? Or will you stick to your Martinis in spome cocktail bar in North America ?
shmooj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jason, if I can call you that, you started this thread almost six months ago. You could have bicycled to the DRC by now. Are you there and if not why not?

Actually I would have thought Monrovia would be more your field at the moment. I was there in peacetime and it was not a place I would have worked in despite visiting 8 African countries and living in two.

Update please Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: jason and the drc Reply with quote

Some people sit and dream of going to dangerous and exotic places. Some people acrtually go there.

Jason like his Alter Ego, Tiger Beer, are in the first category. At this moment they are in some suburban bar in N. America, moving the Martinis.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot you're a card. Very Happy Yes, I wonder what has happened to our Jason. I can't be bothered to re-read his posts but he was an arrogant whippersnapper. As for Africa, OMG....... Zimbabwe, Kenya, Liberia, Sierra Leone.... I think only Botswana is doing ok. What about SA?
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason and Tiger are Canadians, so you can be a bit more specific in your ethnocentric attacks, Mr. Scot. And if you mean Mexican in 'North American' I don't think they drink martinis there. Oh, you only meant CA or US? That's rather insensitive to Mexicans. Or even Haitians. Wink

What are wrong with martinis, anyway?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: