Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The DRC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: bloody lawyers Reply with quote

][[]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: travel in Africa Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AFRICA Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[]]][

jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[[[]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Friday the 113th Reply with quote

I thought Jason had gone to the KSA to sell Bibles. Guess my brain has fossilised too.
shmooj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_seeburn wrote:
shmooj wrote:
I was there in peacetime and it was not a place I would have worked in

From what I've heard of Monrovia it's not nearly as bad as people are saying.... People who've been there tell me it's great....

No they don't...

Obviously, you seem to just be replying to posts as opposed to reading them. I am a person who has been there and I tell you it was the pits. The world is a big place and we have little time. If you are going to waste your time on places like Monrovia when the world has so much more to offer then you are beyond rational thought.......IMHO of course Wink

Pathan, Mussoorie, the North Yorkshire coast in England, Kamikochi, Hokkaido, Petra and Wadi Rum... I urge you Mr. Seeburn. If you have not yet seen all these places, give up your desire to hit Monrovia or at least postpone it until you have done. It would be such a shame for you to make it to Monrovia and not Mussoorie before you die.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday the 113th Reply with quote

][[]

jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
shmooj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Friday the 113th Reply with quote

jason_seeburn wrote:
...from what I've been able to gather on the net

you seemed to stop short there Jason. Surely you meant to add "...which agrees with my presuppositions"

I say that because I also saw someone on the net say this: "It's the pits." can't think who that was though Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: j.s. Reply with quote

Jason seems to spend his life on the web. Is he real ? Does he exist outside cyberspace ?
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: j.s. Reply with quote

][][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Friday the 113th Reply with quote

][][

struelle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Friday the 113th Reply with quote

Quote:
Just once I would like to hear someone say something positive about an African country. Just once.....

ummm, besides me, of course.

This thread is something else! Talk about drama.

I think it would do Jason a lot of good to read "Dangerous Places" by Robert Pelton, a satirically written and truly excellent book. Pelton also has a web site at http://www.comebackalive.com/df/dplaces.htm

Pelton has visit over 2 dozen of the world's most scary and unsafe places, including Sierra Leone and North Korea. He made headlines by reporting on the front lines when the Northern Alliance ousted the Taliban in Afghanistan shortly after 9/11. Unfortunately a lot of Pelton's material is out of date because it was pre-9/11 and the Iraq war. However it makes excellent reading for those intrigued by travel to out-of-the-way places, like Jason.

There is a very useful section on survival in dangerous places, you can check it out at http://www.comebackalive.com/df/dthings.htm

Anyway, I can see some of Jason in myself because I'm enthralled by the idea of visiting places off the beaten track, and especially traveling to the less safe places of the world. The mundane security and boredom of the developed world is stifling, and I crave adventure. Where best to find it, well, in places of the world that don't share in the international banquets!

Maybe Jason actually went to the DRC by now, but there were almost 6 months where he kept posting about it in some comfy North American city. What distinguishes Jason from Pelton is that Pelton actually went to the dangerous places he wanted to go, and wrote back.

In short, the boys talk about wanting to go somewhere but the men actually go there.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: