Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The DRC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Friday the 113th Reply with quote

][[]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Jason's a law unto himself. Reply with quote

Okay, who woke him up?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: jason the vampire Reply with quote

dunno
you hold him down and I'll put the stake through his heart.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: jason the vampire Reply with quote

He really is tedious. Why does he not find a bulletin board for deranged Law students who want to meet an untimely end in the Dark Continent ?

Does he really beleive that, armed with a law degree from North America, he will save Africa from the depradations of the Evil White Man ?

There are institutions that cater for people with delusions like this. They are not Language Schools.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: jason the vampire Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
There are institutions that cater for people with delusions like this. They are not Language Schools.

Scot47,

I believe I've heard about these aforementioned institutions. They're quite nice actually. They even give you a very comfortable jacket that keeps your arms in place at all times. Very nice indeed!
danielb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes Jason, hope you find what you're looking for in the Dark Continent. However, I have a law degree from an Australian University and fail to see what possible difference I could make in a place like the former Zaire. Extremely infrequent have been the looks of sheer terror upon recognition of the LLB after my name. Maybe you will learn more at an American University.

Cheers.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: The lawman of the jungle Reply with quote

Scot47, I don't think a stake's sufficient. Like his cinematic namesake, he keeps a-coming back.
Jason, if you're looking for a challenging assignment, I believe the former President of Iraq's looking for a lawyer.
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_seeburn wrote:
Are you in the Congo right now? I don't care if it's safe. I'm just wondering what it's like there. I've read a lot about Kinshasa and it just intrigues me and I want to go there.

"Dang it - you people aren't telling me what I want to hear!"
struelle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Friday the 113th Reply with quote

Quote:
And how, exactly, do you think I got intrigued by travel to so called "out of the way" places (besides going to them, of course?)

Pelton has a 5th edition of his book coming out in April '04. It's about time, as the book seriously needs to be updated after the recent events in Iraq and Aghanistan.

Which places mentioned in his book did you go to?

If reading Pelton intrigued you, great, but surely you picked up on his sarasm. Didn't you? He makes it pretty obvious that only suckers actually go to the places he talks about. He offers a strong disclaimer not to go, and he shoots down overly keen types like yourself who want to travel to dangerous places but lack experience.

I don't agree with a lot of Pelton's political views, and his writing style can be extremely discouraging. His tone tends to be, "Hey guy, I went to this place and survived, but you don't stand a chance. You'll get clobbered" Yet he offers stunning reality checks on what it's actually like to travel to the countries mentioned. He presents entertaining stories, intriguing accounts, and page-turning reading. It's a real eye-opener.

But it's intended for entertainment reading, and his sarcasm makes that painfully obvious. In short, Pelton will wake you up from a fantasy, but he's not a good choice to consult for those who are serious about hardship travel. In his view, only he does the dangerous travel.

It sounds like you are serious about DRC travel, because you weren't put off by Pelton's tone!! But you'll need other more practical sources.

Try 'Tales from a Small Planet' and consult the links.

http://www.talesmag.com/rprweb/the_rprs/africa/congo_dem_rep.shtml#real

Quote:
and jason is currently doing a law degree, so that he can go to those dangerous places and make a difference, because you know, knowledge is power, and law is a loaded gun in the hands of the right person.

Well, I wish you luck. When does your law degree finish?

Steve
Steinmann

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*big bump*

I wonder whether anyone has recent intel on teaching in the DRC?

I'll take that as a no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: