Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU in 2004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liehtzu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: EU in 2004 Reply with quote

Hello folks! I was just wondering if anyone can help me out with this: I'm a US citizen who's going to finish a contract here in Korea in July of this year and would like to work in Eastern Europe, BUT what happens when they switch to EU in 2004? Is it, oops, sorry fella? Would I get a bit of leeway since I started before the EU nonsense was imposed? Does anyone know for sure? Also, any recommendations as to what country/city would be best in terms of conditions/pay? Thanks.

Cheers,
Kris
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: a small world Reply with quote

Hello Kris,

You are asking a very good question, but I fear you may get limited replies here on the 'general' European forum.

Your best bet, imho, would be to re-post your question in the specific country forums of eastern Europe, where you will find lots of resident 'experts' on hand who will happily answer your question in detail, for that particular country.

For example, I'm in Russia now, so I will certainly help you with any questions you have regarding Russia, but I would be going out on a very thin limb if I were to try to give you information for Poland, Hungary, Czech, etc... especially with the EU 2004 expansion.

Anyway, Good Luck Kris, and feel free to drop by the Russian forum any time.

Best wishes,
Kent

PS: I taught at SLP in Chonju for one year, and I'm also from the States. Ever been to Lancaster PA? It's a small world, I tell ya! Wink
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Check with Their Embassies Reply with quote

The previous poster gave you valid info.Post on the specific country.However,I am rather doubtful if any of us on this board will be able to give you definitive info about what will happen vis-a-vis teaching in specific EU candidate countries(as far as getting the work permit goes)...and whether you will get any "leeway" iif you start before they become EU.I suggest that you decide which specific country(ies) in eastern Europe that you are interested in and then contact their embassy or consualte in the US.

Incidentally,it is not a "done deal" that ALL of the EU candidate countries will approve going into the EU.They are all holding referenda among their citizens to approve or turn down EU membership.In some countries such as Poland,it is reported in the news that opposition to EU membership is quite significant...so the possibility exists that some of the candiadte countries may not approve EU membership.I believe the last referenda in this "group' are being held in September for Latvia and Estonia...and the others are before September.Good luck!
rogan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This EU "nonsense" is a democratic choice made by the majority of independent countries in Western Europe.

And it has been around for a long time !!

Do you say that it is "nonsense" because it limits your employment opportunities?
If so, have your country change its employment laws and Europe may do the same.
travellingscot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Some you win,some you lose Reply with quote

As a UK citizen i am looking forward to EU nonsense applying to more Eastern European countries so i can get a job without the work permit/visa difficulties i am presently experiencing.This will probably mean more competition for jobs but after chasing around for several months i think i can live with that.I might even join the ranks of the seasoned veterans who complain about the abundance of backpackers!
Of course,had i chosen to go to university and add a degree to my limited qualifications then life would be easier,but i've never been one for easy options hence my choice of Bulgaria for my first overseas job.
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

When January 1st 2004 arrives there'll be 25 countries where I can travel, live and work without having to have a visa, get a work permit or deal with any awkward people in local authority administrations.

I'll also receive free medical treatment if I need it.

And when I get to 65 I'll be able to pick up my pension in any one of those countries.

Oh the joys of Europe enlarged !!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: pension Reply with quote

Pension ?
If you are referring tothe pesnion paid under the British National Insurance system, you can already pick it up in any of these 25 countries. Anywhere on Planet Terra in fact. But be careful : in some countries it is frozen at the level at which it is first paid. So if you retire in Canada for example it is frozen. Go to the USA and you will get annual increases.

If you have any contribution record to NI it may be worthwhile making voluntary contributions when you leave Britain. Look into it.
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I wasn't clear Scot -
I work legally in "Europe"
I pay social security contributions to the countries in which I work.
When I retire all those benefits that I have paid in various countries can be consolidated and the country in which I am then living will give me a pension which is determined by all my contributions.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: I see Reply with quote

Right. As far as I know the "right to live" in a country is not yet formalised. What we have is a "right to work" in other EU states. I assume that the day will come (soon ?) when pensioners will be entitled to residence permits in other EU countries. But I think technically - not yet.
rogan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite right, Scot.

EU laws guarantee freedom of movement of goods, money and people and the right to live and work in any of the 15 countries that are current members.

As of 1st Jan 2004 those 10 countries which are due to join (subject to their own referendum) will offer the same guarantees and opportunities.

There are several little difficulties about giving equal acceptance to qualifications (cf France and Teaching QTS) but, in general, having professional qualifications means that we can all wander and work.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Residence in EU states Reply with quote

I think it is the right to work and not necessarily to live there. My understanding is that the individual member states decide on regulations about residence. If you do not have a job you do not have an absolute right of residence.

Can one of our lawyers check that out ?
Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just wanted to point out that those 10 countries who pass the referendum to join the European Union would join as of May 1, 2004, not January 1st.

Here in Poland, the referendum is on June 7-8. They need at least 50% of the voting population to vote in order for the referendum to be legal. However, if they do not make the 50% minimum, my students have told me that the vote then goes to the parliament. Thankfully, the parliament is pro-EU.

I'm a US citizen who's lived here for nearly 6 years, but I honestly haven't heard anything about my not being able to stay here past the May 1st deadline. I guess I'll find out when I get my temporary residency card renued this summer! If it's only until May, then I'll know, but hopefully, it'll expire in 2 years which is the maximum amount of time allowed on these cards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: